- Certified guide
- Visit of the wine laboratory or wine museum
- 3 different wine tastings
- Lunch in a local restaurant
- Insurance (personal accident and liability)
Whales and Wines
Whale WatchingPico island Book now
Whales and Wines
Whale Watching & Van Tour to Pico VineyardsPico island
Whale watching in Pico is a complete adventure, as you will ride the sea in a semi-rigid boat seeking the most perfect moment, in a perfect alignment with the great creatures that inhabit it.
It is also in Pico that, in a maze of walls and twisted branches, one of the most ancient and tenacious traditions was weaved, resulting in an explosion of flavors and aromas – the vineyards.
Tide pools, wine cellars, and parceled vineyards tell us a different story, one of labor, sweat, and sun; the true story responsible for the unique pattern of this landscape.
Wine lovers, this is for you
The wine from the Azores is not to be missed, it is very different from regular wines in the continent.
World-class Whale Watching operator
Futurismo is Internationally Certified by WCA as a Responsible Whale Watching and is globally renown by defining the standards for this activity.
Mouthwatering local food included
Each island in the Azores has its regional delicacies. Try the delicious Azorean cuisine and let yourself be carried away by traditions!
98% success rate
We don’t stop at a 98% success rate. Additional tours offered until you see a cetacean.
Experience face-to-face encounters with astonishing creatures from the deepest waters of the Atlantic Ocean.
From the ocean to the land, this full-day tour offers you a complete visit of Pico.
You will learn more about the important wine production of the island as well as the sea giants living and passing by our waters.
– Starting from Madalena, our first stop will be in Criação Velha. We will be in the middle of the main vineyard area, classified as UNESCO world heritage site.
– As you stroll through the vineyards, you will learn everything about the story behind the impressive labyrinth of dry stone walls. In fact, those are fundamental pieces for the production of a special and unique wine.
Lajes do Pico
– Continuing along the south coast, towards Lajes do Pico, we will pass by some of the many built centers. These consist on old lava stone houses (adegas) that still witness the golden wine age.
– We will also discover other elements associated with local wine culture. For example, tidal wells, distilleries, stone ramps, little ports, private chapels and manor houses.
– Also, we will have the chance to taste the local table wine still produced by almost every inhabitant of the island.
Lunch at a Local Restaurant
– Experience some of the most delicious traditional dishes the Azores has to offer. We will have lunch at one of the local restaurants on the island.
Whale Watching experience
– After lunch at a local restaurant, let’s go for a whale and dolphin watching trip to the ocean.
– At our activity center in Lajes do Pico, our biologists will give you a briefing. You will know more about which species can be observed as well as safety measures aboard. Our guides will also tell you how we respect the animals and the rules of observation at sea. Without forgetting some historical facts.
– The historical whaling background and the registered sightings turn Lajes do Pico into the perfect base to embark on this adventure. Enjoy the sea!
Back to land
– Back in the harbor, it is time to go back to Madalena by van.
1st Whale Watching Company in São Miguel (1990) and largest tour operator in the Azores.
We are certified by the World Cetacean Alliance (WCA), the world’s largest marine conservation organization
All our sea tours are operated by experienced Marine Biologists who also participate in scientific investigations
Comfortable catamaran or fierce zodiac boats, you choose the kind of experience you want.
You’ll receive a full refund if you cancel at least 48 hours in advance
Our guides speak several languages, including English, Spanish, French and German.
Plan your Whale Watching & Van Tour to Pico Vineyards
What to bring?
- Comfortable light clothes
- Hiking boots or shoes
- Sweater, raincoat
- Sunscreen, hat and backpack
- Water and snacks
- Please book this tour at least 24/48h prior to the preferred date to adapt to the availability of the adega (wine cellar) and wine laboratory
- If you have any food restriction, please inform us at least 48h before the tour
- Cancellations up to 48 hours before the tour, no penalties are applied
- Cancellations up to 24 hours: 50% of the total amount will be charged
- Cancellations less than 24 hours or no-show: full amount will be charged
- If the weather conditions do not allow the activity to be done safely, we will cancel it and contact you suggesting an alternative date or provide a full refund.
Booking confirmation policy
- You will receive a confirmation email within 24 hours of successful booking.
Reviews What people think about
My husband and I went on a tour on 22 October 2020. Unfortunately, due to weather conditions and safety measures we did not have a chance to go deeper into the ocean to see the whales, nevertheless, we were delighted to see various species of dolphins and sea turtles.
The tour was guided by a professional crew who is passionate about their work and are true ocean lovers!
Ana Santos, Portugal
Since I was a child, I always remember wanting to go see the whales and dolphins of the Azores, but the opportunity only came now, when I’m over 30 years old. During those hours I felt the excitement and emotion as if I were a child again.
Thank you for providing these visits to observe these fantastic animals in their natural environment and not in a depressing pool.
I completely recommend this company. They were efficient, kind, and helpful. All our guides were amazingly gracious and interesting. Their understanding of the marine world was humbling and we learned so much. Brilliant, my daughter and I had the best time. Thank you.
The excursion was really worth it. The kids loved it and so did the adults. The team that followed, striving to show the species as much as possible. Thank you very much.
Are the Azores a good whale watching destination?
The Azores are a great whale watching destination, probably one of the best in the whole world. We have sperm whales all year round. Being in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, lots of cetacean species pass by our islands during their annual migration.
Can I cancel my tour reservation and have a full refund?
Yes, you can check our detailed cancellation and refund policies per tour on each tour page, under “Good to Know” section
Can I take my camera with me during this activity?
Yes, but be aware that your material will be under your responsability.
Can I touch the whales and dolphins?
No, our strict whale and dolphin watching rules forbid to touch the animals. They are wild and we should respect them.
Can I use my drone during this tour?
You cannot use a drone on our tours with other travelers. However, if you really want to fly your drone, it is possible on a private tour with us.
Do you have toilets on the boat?
On the catamarans and the bigger zodiac boats, there is a toilet facility. However on the small zodiac boats there is no toilets.
Do you sell medication for seasickness?
No, we do not sell anything on the boat. If you know that you get easily seasick, it is better to purchase the adequate medication before the tour.
How can I book this activity?
You can select any tour within our website and get your booking confirmation on your email immediately. Alternativelly, you can visit us on our shops or get in touch with us by phone, email or send us a message on social media (Instagram and Facebook)
How many whales and dolphins can I see?
It depends, each day on the ocean is a surprise. Sometimes we can see one whale only, and other times we will see several species with pods of dolphins including thousands of individuals. We work with nature, the animals are not under our control.
Is this an adventure kind of tour?
It is a great adventure, but not physically demanding.
What if the weather isn’t ok?
If the weather doesn’t allow to do this activity safely, we will cancel it and suggest na alternative date.
What is the minimum number of participants?
Please check the minimum number of participant for each tour inside the program’s page.