- Pre-tour briefing
- Raincoat and pants (if necessary)
- Life jacket (on zodiac & fiberglass boats)
- Marine biologist guides
- Lunch in a local restaurant
- Guide for the Jeep Tour
- Visit to Caldeira Velha – an iron-rich warm waterfall
- Insurance (personal accident and liability)
- Pick-up and drop-off in Ponta Delgada (blue markers on the map) – inform on the checkout
Azores Adventures – Futurismo
Pure Wild Atlantic Exploration
Whale WatchingSao Miguel island Book now
Pure Wild Atlantic Exploration
Whale Watching & Jeep Tour to Lagoa do FogoSao Miguel island
After a boat ride during which the engagement with cetaceans will leave you filled with excitement and amazement, there is a relaxing stop in Ponta Delgada for lunch and to recall the most effusive moments.
Our jeep will then take us in search of a forgotten time – where lava explosions made mountains collapse and transformed them into a goblet of water of the purest beauty: the natural reserve of Lagoa do Fogo.
In the surrounding slopes, the strength of the endemic vegetation pads the landscape, and, in an abysm of art, the waters await, quietly.
From the summit of Pico da Barrosa, it is possible to embrace both sides of the island, stretching along the ocean…
We will let you dream afterwards, while taking a soaking bath in the thermal waters of Caldeira Velha, a hot spring area involved in a mossy exuberance of nature.
On the way back, it will be possible to delight yourself with the waterfall in Salto do Cabrito and to visit the city of Ribeira Grande.
World-class Whale Watching operator
Futurismo is Internationally Certified by WCA as a Responsible Whale Watching and is globally renown by defining the standards for this activity.
98% success rate
We don’t stop at a 98% success rate. Additional tours offered until you see a cetacean.
Bathing in the Jurassic world
Deep inside the forest with many plants dating from the Cretaceous period, hold your breath and dive on the warm termal iron-rich waters!
Impressive Fogo volcano landscapes
Answer the call of the wild. Visit and admire a true natural wonder, the most beautiful green emerald lake on the island.
Mouthwatering local food included
Each island in the Azores has its regional delicacies. Try the delicious Azorean cuisine and let yourself be carried away by traditions!
We cover dirt paths never explored before. The jeep trip with an experienced guide behind the wheel involves routes outside the typical tourist itinerary.
This is the ideal tour if you want to see whales and dolphins and also discover wonderful landscapes around São Miguel island, such as the beautiful Lagoa do Fogo.
Spot cetaceans in the deep blue Atlantic Ocean in the morning and explore the countryside aboard an all terrain jeep in the afternoon.
Lagoa do Fogo is not a place you want to miss, it is one of the most famous lakes in São Miguel. But despite the fame, we will also take you too dirt roads where not so many people will ever go.
Enjoy the trip, our guide will take care of everything.
Harbor of Ponta Delgada
– This great adventure starts at the Marina of Ponta Delgada, in our shop. Our staff will welcome you for the check-in.
– After the check-in, you will be directed to the boat where our marine biologists will give a briefing. They will tell you about the species that you might see, whale watching history in the Azores as well as how we respect the animals.
– Then, we are ready to navigate and look for cetaceans in the wild. On the way, have a look at the coast of our beautiful island, full of magical landscapes.
The Deep Atlantic
– That is where you will encounter the biggest animals. Whales are living in the deep ocean. Some of them simply pass by our waters during their migration.
– Prepare for awe-inspiring moments where time suddenly freezes and natural magic happens right in front of your eyes.
Back to shore
– On the way back to the harbor, take your time to contemplate the amazing landscapes. Try to spot some of the most beautiful sights of the island.
– Enjoy the peaceful and positive energies this magical island has to offer.
Lunch at a Local Restaurant
– Experience some of the most delicious traditional dishes the Azores has to offer. We will have lunch at one of the local restaurants on the island.
Pico da Barrosa
– Pico da Barrosa is a wonderful viewpoint, one of the few where you can see both the North and South coasts of São Miguel island.
– It offers an astonishing view from where you can also have a first sight over the magical Fogo Volcano and Lake.
– In order to make this experience unforgettable, we will visit Caldeira Velha.
– The volcanic hot springs are surrounded by green lush forests. Submerge yourself and relax in natural warm iron-rich waters. Also, discover the famous hot waterfall and listen to the sounds of nature. It is another absolute must-do in São Miguel Island. Don’t forget your swimsuit!
Salto do Cabrito
– Close to a hydroelectric power station, contemplate the magnificent waterfall of Salto do Cabrito, about 50m high.
– This waterfall goes down to a little pond full of clear waters. We will also see the hydroelectric station located near the waterfall.
1st Whale Watching Company in São Miguel (1990) and largest tour operator in the Azores.
We are certified by the World Cetacean Alliance (WCA), the world’s largest marine conservation organization
All our sea tours are operated by experienced Marine Biologists who also participate in scientific investigations
Comfortable catamaran or fierce zodiac boats, you choose the kind of experience you want.
You’ll receive a full refund if you cancel at least 48 hours in advance
Our guides speak several languages, including English, Spanish, French and German.
Plan your Whale Watching & Jeep Tour to Lagoa do Fogo
What to bring?
- Comfortable light clothes
- Sweater, raincoat
- Comfortable shoes
- Swimsuit and towel, hat, sunscreen and backpack
- Water and snacks (we do not sell food aboard)
- Babies: 0-5 years old – free of charge | Children: 6-12 years old 50% discount
- Catamaran recommended for people with back problems, pregnant women, children and seniors
- Lunch: starter, main dish, dessert, drink, coffee/tea
- Vegetarians: vegetarian meals on request within a maximum of 48 hours before the tour
- If you have any food restriction, please inform us at least 48h before the tour
Good to know
- Cancellations up to 48 hours before the tour, no penalties are applied
- Cancellations up to 24 hours: 50% of the total amount will be charged
- Cancellations less than 24 hours or no-show: full amount will be charged
- If the weather conditions do not allow the activity to be done safely, we will cancel it and contact you suggesting an alternative date or provide a full refund.
Booking confirmation policy
- You will receive a confirmation email within 24 hours of successful booking.
Reviews What people think about
The whale watch was beyond our expectations. The boat was fast and stable, the crew helpful, friendly, and professional. We saw over a dozen sperm whales, a pair of fin whales, and a blue whale.
We also did a really excellent walking tour of Ponta Delgada and two excellent jeep tours. All were excellent and were well worth the time and the price. Futurismo delivered 110%.
We spent six full days in São Miguel. The itineraries (including dolphin watching) are very complete. The guide who accompanied us for 5 days (Patxi) very professional and friendly. We recommend 100%!
Unmissable, spectacular, repeating, and worth every euro!
Are the Azores a good whale watching destination?
The Azores are a great whale watching destination, probably one of the best in the whole world. We have sperm whales all year round. Being in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, lots of cetacean species pass by our islands during their annual migration.
Are there any pickup and drop off locations I can use?
Yes, please check the Departure and Return section presented on every tour.
Can I cancel my tour reservation and have a full refund?
Yes, you can check our detailed cancellation and refund policies per tour on each tour page, under “Good to Know” section
Can I take my camera with me during this activity?
Yes, but be aware that your material will be under your responsability.
Can I touch the whales and dolphins?
No, our strict whale and dolphin watching rules forbid to touch the animals. They are wild and we should respect them.
Can I use my drone during this tour?
You cannot use a drone on our tours with other travelers. However, if you really want to fly your drone, it is possible on a private tour with us.
Do you have toilets on the boat?
On the catamarans and the bigger zodiac boats, there is a toilet facility. However on the small zodiac boats there is no toilets.
Do you sell medication for seasickness?
No, we do not sell anything on the boat. If you know that you get easily seasick, it is better to purchase the adequate medication before the tour.
How can I book this activity?
You can select any tour within our website and get your booking confirmation on your email immediately. Alternativelly, you can visit us on our shops or get in touch with us by phone, email or send us a message on social media (Instagram and Facebook)
How many whales and dolphins can I see?
It depends, each day on the ocean is a surprise. Sometimes we can see one whale only, and other times we will see several species with pods of dolphins including thousands of individuals. We work with nature, the animals are not under our control.
What if the weather isn’t ok?
If the weather doesn’t allow to do this activity safely, we will cancel it and suggest na alternative date.
What is the minimum number of participants?
Please check the minimum number of participant for each tour inside the program’s page.
Will I be able to swim in Fogo lake?
No, Fogo Lake is a natural reserve, and for natural preservation purposes, it is not authorized to bathe in the lake.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Sign Up for Email Updates on News & Offers