- Insurance (personal accident and liability)
- Life jacket (on zodiac & fiberglass boats)
- Marine biologist guides
- Pre-tour briefing
- Raincoat and pants (if necessary)
Meet the Giants of Pico
Whale WatchingPico island
Meet the Giants of Pico
Whale Watching in Pico IslandPico island
It is in this dark-profiled paradise of basaltic landscapes and silky vegetation that a rough sea awaits to introduce the visitor to some of the most spectacular aquatic specimens, freely swimming in their element.
Away from the masses and close to the desirable peace, you will be the guests to our nature guides and marine biologists, certified and, most importantly, sharing such a passion for these islands, its fauna and flora, that it becomes contagious.
You will, therefore, meet the whales in the integral beauty of their natural habitat.
World-class Whale Watching operator
Futurismo is Internationally Certified by WCA as a Responsible Whale Watching and is globally renown by defining the standards for this activity.
Face-to-face encounters with astonishing creatures
Big blue whales, jumping bottlenose dolphins or breaching humpback whales, each day is a surprise with us, and nature is very generous here!
Experience face-to-face encounters with astonishing creatures from the deepest waters of the Atlantic Ocean.
A Marine wildlife oasis
Raised from the deepest waters of the Atlantic Ocean, Azores is the harbor for big families of Sperm Whales and three dolphin species!
Misteryous underwater world explained
Get to know every detail about the incredible marine wildlife and their hidden secrets thanks to our team of knowledgeable marine biologists.
Just some miles off Pico island coast, there are big slopes reaching 3,000m deep in the Atlantic ocean.
This is very favorable for cetaceans, who appear sometimes very close to the island.
Other characteristics such as hydrothermal vents and submarines mounts create the perfect environment for our dear whales and dolphins.
Basically, Pico island is a great whale watching spot in the Azores.
Lajes do Pico harbor
– This great adventure starts at Lajes do Pico harbor, in our shop.
– Our staff will welcome you and help you checking-in.
– After the check-in, you will be directed to the boat where our marine biologists will give a briefing. They will tell you about the species that you might see, whale watching history in the Azores as well as how we respect the animals.
– Then, we are ready to navigate and look for cetaceans in the wild. On the way, have a look at the coast of our beautiful island, full of magical landscapes.
The Deep Atlantic
– That is where you will encounter the biggest animals. Whales are living in the deep ocean. Some of them simply pass by our waters during their migration.
– Prepare for awe-inspiring moments where time suddenly freezes and natural magic happens right in front of your eyes.
Back to Land
– Back to Lajes do Pico harbor, we will remind you of all the species you saw.
1st Whale Watching Company in São Miguel (1990) and largest tour operator in the Azores.
We are certified by the World Cetacean Alliance (WCA), the world’s largest marine conservation organization
All our sea tours are operated by experienced Marine Biologists who also participate in scientific investigations
Comfortable catamaran or fierce zodiac boats, you choose the kind of experience you want.
You’ll receive a full refund if you cancel at least 48 hours in advance
Our guides speak several languages, including English, Spanish, French and German.
Plan your Whale Watching in Pico Island
What to bring?
- Comfortable clothes and shoes
- Warm sweater or jacket
- Sunscreen, hat and backpack
- Water and snacks (we do not sell food aboard)
- Restrictions may apply for pregnant women and people with lower back problems, because the whale watching experience is operated in a zodiac boats
- Please note that we don’t sell any food or drink onboard
- Children ideally above 6 years old. Once seated, the child’s feet must reach the ground for safety reasons
- The medium level of difficulty is related to be operated on a zodiac boat
- Cancellations up to 48 hours before the tour, no penalties are applied
- Cancellations up to 24 hours: 50% of the total amount will be charged
- Cancellations less than 24 hours or no-show: full amount will be charged
- If the weather conditions do not allow the activity to be done safely, we will cancel it and contact you suggesting an alternative date or provide a full refund.
Booking confirmation policy
- You will receive a confirmation email within 24 hours of successful booking.
Reviews What people think about
Ana Santos, Portugal
Since I was a child, I always remember wanting to go see the whales and dolphins of the Azores, but the opportunity only came now, when I’m over 30 years old. During those hours I felt the excitement and emotion as if I were a child again.
Thank you for providing these visits to observe these fantastic animals in their natural environment and not in a depressing pool.
A wonderful and unique experience. We were blessed with the sighting of several species of dolphins, killer whales, and blue whales. A memorable day that I will never forget.
Congratulations to the entire team, they were extraordinarily professional and of unparalleled friendliness. Congratulations to everyone, keep up this excellent work!!!
My husband and I went on a tour on 22 October 2020. Unfortunately, due to weather conditions and safety measures we did not have a chance to go deeper into the ocean to see the whales, nevertheless, we were delighted to see various species of dolphins and sea turtles.
The tour was guided by a professional crew who is passionate about their work and are true ocean lovers!
Martin Merimen, UK
It was our first time with the whales. Very enjoyable trip! Staff was very helpful and kindly answered all our questions. Thanks for the wonderful experience!
This is an absolute must-do if you visit the island. Actually, even if you have whale watched before or on other destinations, don’t give this a pass. On our trip, we saw humpback whales jumping around. It was an impressive experience!
Great staff, extremely educational.
Are the Azores a good whale watching destination?
The Azores are a great whale watching destination, probably one of the best in the whole world. We have sperm whales all year round. Being in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, lots of cetacean species pass by our islands during their annual migration.
Can I cancel my tour reservation and have a full refund?
Yes, you can check our detailed cancellation and refund policies per tour on each tour page, under “Good to Know” section
Can I touch the whales and dolphins?
No, our strict whale and dolphin watching rules forbid to touch the animals. They are wild and we should respect them.
Can I use my drone during this tour?
You cannot use a drone on our tours with other travelers. However, if you really want to fly your drone, it is possible on a private tour with us.
Do you have toilets on the boat?
On the catamarans and the bigger zodiac boats, there is a toilet facility. However on the small zodiac boats there is no toilets.
Do you sell medication for seasickness?
No, we do not sell anything on the boat. If you know that you get easily seasick, it is better to purchase the adequate medication before the tour.
How can I book this activity?
You can select any tour within our website and get your booking confirmation on your email immediately. Alternativelly, you can visit us on our shops or get in touch with us by phone, email or send us a message on social media (Instagram and Facebook)
How many whales and dolphins can I see?
It depends, each day on the ocean is a surprise. Sometimes we can see one whale only, and other times we will see several species with pods of dolphins including thousands of individuals. We work with nature, the animals are not under our control.
What if the weather isn’t ok?
If the weather doesn’t allow to do this activity safely, we will cancel it and suggest na alternative date.
What is the minimum number of participants?
Please check the minimum number of participant for each tour inside the program’s page.
Top Sights Whale Watching in Pico Island
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Sign Up for Email Updates on News & Offers