- Pre-tour briefing
- Raincoat and pants (if necessary)
- Life jacket (on zodiac & fiberglass boats)
- Marine biologist guides
- Insurance (personal accident and liability)
- Free Entrance for Children up to 5 years old
Into the Sperm Whales Paradise | Rabo de Peixe
Whale WatchingSao Miguel island
Into the Sperm Whales Paradise | Rabo de Peixe
Whale Watching from Rabo de Peixe – Half daySao Miguel island
This adventure begins at the Yatch Club of a fishing village on the north side of the island, where the coast offers even greater opportunities for whale watching.
After a briefing with our biologists, we will set to sea, in the mid-Atlantic, and everything will be possible for those who nurture the dream of facing the immemorial giant of the waters.
However, the marine fauna offers many other revelations, and the coastline of the island as seen from the sea, with the black, basaltic formations against the blue of the ocean, will be an unforgettable exhibition.
World-class Whale Watching operator
Futurismo is Internationally Certified by WCA as a Responsible Whale Watching and is globally renown by defining the standards for this activity.
Face-to-face encounters with astonishing creatures
Big blue whales, jumping bottlenose dolphins or breaching humpback whales, each day is a surprise with us, and nature is very generous here!
A Marine wildlife oasis
Raised from the deepest waters of the Atlantic Ocean, Azores is the harbor for big families of Sperm Whales and three dolphin species!
Experience face-to-face encounters with astonishing creatures from the deepest waters of the Atlantic Ocean.
Misteryous underwater world explained
Get to know every detail about the incredible marine wildlife and their hidden secrets thanks to our team of knowledgeable marine biologists.
If you are mostly interested in sperm whales, this tour is your best bet. Even though each day is a total surprise at sea, from the North Coast we have registered a lot of them close to the coast! However, we can also see other animals such as baleen whales or dolphins.
Enjoy the presence of our specialist marine biologists to learn more about the species you will see. They will give a lot of information for you to better understand the mysterious world under the sea.
Harbor of Rabo de Peixe
– After checking in, we will invite you to get on board.
– Our marine biologists will explain to you everything about the adventure you are about to live. You will know more about species you might see and the whale watching history in the Azores. But also about how we respect the animals.
The north coast of São Miguel
– Then, we are ready to set sails and look for cetaceans out there in the wild. On the way, have a look at the North coast of our beautiful island, full of magical landscapes.
– Sometimes, animals can be really close to the coast, mostly dolphins, Portuguese man-o-war, or also turtles!
Into the Sperm Whales paradise
– The North Coast of São Miguel is considered a Sperm Whales sanctuary. This gives us about 98% chances to find them.
– Keep your eyes wide open and your camera prepared because when you see them, it will be all worth it!
On our way back
– Back to Rabo de Peixe harbor, we will explain you some characteristics of the species you just saw. Our professional marine biologists will also give you key-facts about them, their habits and routes.
1st Whale Watching Company in São Miguel (1990) and largest tour operator in the Azores.
We are certified by the World Cetacean Alliance (WCA), the world’s largest marine conservation organization
All our sea tours are operated by experienced Marine Biologists who also participate in scientific investigations
Comfortable catamaran or fierce zodiac boats, you choose the kind of experience you want.
You’ll receive a full refund if you cancel at least 48 hours in advance
Our guides speak several languages, including English, Spanish, French and German.
Plan your Whale Watching from Rabo de Peixe – Half day
What to bring?
- Comfortable light clothes and shoes
- Sunscreen, towel and hat
- Water and snacks (we do not sell food aboard)
- Babies: 0-5 years old – free of charge | Children: 6-12 years old 50% discount
- Minimum of participants: 2 people when integrated in regular activity schedule, otherwise on request.
- Catamaran recommended for people with back problems, pregnant women, children and seniors
- If you need transfer from Ponta Delgada, please inform us when booking the tour
- Cancellations up to 48 hours before the tour, no penalties are applied
- Cancellations up to 24 hours: 50% of the total amount will be charged
- Cancellations less than 24 hours or no-show: full amount will be charged
- If the weather conditions do not allow the activity to be done safely, we will cancel it and contact you suggesting an alternative date or provide a full refund.
Booking confirmation policy
- You will receive a confirmation email within 24 hours of successful booking.
Reviews What people think about
Martin Merimen, UK
It was our first time with the whales. Very enjoyable trip! Staff was very helpful and kindly answered all our questions. Thanks for the wonderful experience!
I completely recommend this company. They were efficient, kind, and helpful. All our guides were amazingly gracious and interesting. Their understanding of the marine world was humbling and we learned so much. Brilliant, my daughter and I had the best time. Thank you.
The excursion was really worth it. The kids loved it and so did the adults. The team that followed, striving to show the species as much as possible. Thank you very much.
The trip that in principle was announcing between 2 1/2 and 3 hours was until 4 hours due to the way in which the enlistments were happening.
Are the Azores a good whale watching destination?
The Azores are a great whale watching destination, probably one of the best in the whole world. We have sperm whales all year round. Being in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, lots of cetacean species pass by our islands during their annual migration.
Can I cancel my tour reservation and have a full refund?
Yes, you can check our detailed cancellation and refund policies per tour on each tour page, under “Good to Know” section
Can I touch the whales and dolphins?
No, our strict whale and dolphin watching rules forbid to touch the animals. They are wild and we should respect them.
Can I use my drone during this tour?
You cannot use a drone on our tours with other travelers. However, if you really want to fly your drone, it is possible on a private tour with us.
Do you have toilets on the boat?
On the catamarans and the bigger zodiac boats, there is a toilet facility. However on the small zodiac boats there is no toilets.
Do you sell medication for seasickness?
No, we do not sell anything on the boat. If you know that you get easily seasick, it is better to purchase the adequate medication before the tour.
How can I book this activity?
You can select any tour within our website and get your booking confirmation on your email immediately. Alternativelly, you can visit us on our shops or get in touch with us by phone, email or send us a message on social media (Instagram and Facebook)
How many whales and dolphins can I see?
It depends, each day on the ocean is a surprise. Sometimes we can see one whale only, and other times we will see several species with pods of dolphins including thousands of individuals. We work with nature, the animals are not under our control.
What if the weather isn’t ok?
If the weather doesn’t allow to do this activity safely, we will cancel it and suggest na alternative date.
What is the minimum number of participants?
Please check the minimum number of participant for each tour inside the program’s page.
What animals can we see during this tour?
There are three resident dolphin species in the Azores: Risso’s dolphins, bottlenose dolphins, and common dolphins. These species are present all year round. Other than that, migratory dolphins pass by our waters. We can see for example Atlantic spotted dolphins during the summertime! Check this article to learn more.
Top Sights Whale Watching from Rabo de Peixe – Half day
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Sign Up for Email Updates on News & Offers