- Certified guide
- Visit of a lookout hut
- Entrance in the whaler’s museum and whale factory
- Lunch in a local restaurant
- Pre-tour briefing
- Raincoat and pants (if necessary)
- Life jacket
- Marine biologist guides
- Insurance (personal accident and liability)
All About Whales in Pico
Whale WatchingPico island Book now
All About Whales in Pico
Whale Watching Pico & Van Tour – Whaling HeritagePico island
With a seabed so deep, Pico attracts aquatic visitors from all parts and offers this dreamy, bold dimension from which the first whalers were born and from which true adventurers and curious are today made of.
Immerse yourself in one of the richest whaling histories in the world and in all of the culture built from this relation between men and sea creatures:
Experience how subsistence dictated the redemption of this balance, in a painful and agonizing way, and be a part of this close and wonderful observation.
World-class Whale Watching operator
Futurismo is Internationally Certified by WCA as a Responsible Whale Watching and is globally renown by defining the standards for this activity.
Face-to-face encounters with astonishing creatures
Big blue whales, jumping bottlenose dolphins or breaching humpback whales, each day is a surprise with us, and nature is very generous here!
A Marine wildlife oasis
Raised from the deepest waters of the Atlantic Ocean, Azores is the harbor for big families of Sperm Whales and three dolphin species!
Experience face-to-face encounters with astonishing creatures from the deepest waters of the Atlantic Ocean.
Misteryous underwater world explained
Get to know every detail about the incredible marine wildlife and their hidden secrets thanks to our team of knowledgeable marine biologists.
Whale lovers, this experience is made for you.
Our marine biologists will tell you everything about the whales passing by the Azores during your ocean trip.
Then, on land, you will discover more about the history between Azoreans and whales during the whaling times.
On the program: culture, traditions, and emotions.
São Roque do Pico
– In the morning, we will start with a visit of a former whale factory in São Roque do Pico.
– It is a place that allows us to travel back in time and see how and under which conditions the locals have worked to secure their subsistence.
Whale lookout hut
– Crossing the island to the South Coast, we will visit a traditional whale lookout hut.
– There, we usually have the opportunity to meet a whale spotter. This person gives directions to the whale watching boats.
Lajes do Pico
– We will spend the rest of the morning in Lajes do Pico, the Azorean whaling capital. There, we will go for a walk through this picturesque traditional village with influenced architecture from this period.
– We will also pass by a monument dedicated to the whalers as well as ancient tryworks replicas.
– In the famous whaler’s museum, we can understand the importance of whaling for the local community. Undoubtedly, you will learn everything about this period.
Lunch at a Local Restaurant
– Experience some of the most delicious traditional dishes the Azores has to offer. We will have lunch at one of the local restaurants on the island.
Whale watching experience
– After lunch at a local restaurant, let’s go for our whale and dolphin watching experience.
– Our biologists will give you a briefing to explain which cetacean species can be observed and safety measures aboard. Also, learn more about how we respect the animals and rules of observation at sea.
– During the boat trip, you will have the opportunity to watch some of the 28 cetacean species that can be found in here. Enjoy the trip!
1st Whale Watching Company in São Miguel (1990) and largest tour operator in the Azores.
We are certified by the World Cetacean Alliance (WCA), the world’s largest marine conservation organization
All our sea tours are operated by experienced Marine Biologists who also participate in scientific investigations
Comfortable catamaran or fierce zodiac boats, you choose the kind of experience you want.
You’ll receive a full refund if you cancel at least 48 hours in advance
Our guides speak several languages, including English, Spanish, French and German.
Plan your Whale Watching Pico & Van Tour – Whaling Heritage
What to bring?
- Comfortable clothes and shoes
- Warm sweater or jacket
- Sunscreen, hat and backpack
- Water and snacks
- Restrictions may apply for pregnant women and people with lower back problems, because the whale watching experience is operated in a zodiac boats
- Children ideally above 6 years old. Once seated, the child’s feet must reach the ground for safety reasons
- If you have any food restriction, please inform us at least 48h before the tour
- Cancellations up to 48 hours before the tour, no penalties are applied
- Cancellations up to 24 hours: 50% of the total amount will be charged
- Cancellations less than 24 hours or no-show: full amount will be charged
- If the weather conditions do not allow the activity to be done safely, we will cancel it and contact you suggesting an alternative date or provide a full refund.
Booking confirmation policy
- You will receive a confirmation email within 24 hours of successful booking.
Reviews What people think about
My husband and I went on a tour on 22 October 2020. Unfortunately, due to weather conditions and safety measures we did not have a chance to go deeper into the ocean to see the whales, nevertheless, we were delighted to see various species of dolphins and sea turtles.
The tour was guided by a professional crew who is passionate about their work and are true ocean lovers!
I highly recommend the Futurismo tour. Great experience, very professional staff, knowing every detail about the whales, so you can learn a lot. The first day the trip was canceled due to the weather, but we left the next day and saw 3 whales and lots of dolphins. An unforgettable experience!
The trip that in principle was announcing between 2 1/2 and 3 hours was until 4 hours due to the way in which the enlistments were happening.
This is an absolute must-do if you visit the island. Actually, even if you have whale watched before or on other destinations, don’t give this a pass. On our trip, we saw humpback whales jumping around. It was an impressive experience!
Great staff, extremely educational.
Are the Azores a good whale watching destination?
The Azores are a great whale watching destination, probably one of the best in the whole world. We have sperm whales all year round. Being in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, lots of cetacean species pass by our islands during their annual migration.
Can I cancel my tour reservation and have a full refund?
Yes, you can check our detailed cancellation and refund policies per tour on each tour page, under “Good to Know” section
Can I touch the whales and dolphins?
No, our strict whale and dolphin watching rules forbid to touch the animals. They are wild and we should respect them.
Can I use my drone during this tour?
You cannot use a drone on our tours with other travelers. However, if you really want to fly your drone, it is possible on a private tour with us.
Do you have toilets on the boat?
On the catamarans and the bigger zodiac boats, there is a toilet facility. However on the small zodiac boats there is no toilets.
Do you sell medication for seasickness?
No, we do not sell anything on the boat. If you know that you get easily seasick, it is better to purchase the adequate medication before the tour.
How can I book this activity?
You can select any tour within our website and get your booking confirmation on your email immediately. Alternativelly, you can visit us on our shops or get in touch with us by phone, email or send us a message on social media (Instagram and Facebook)
How many whales and dolphins can I see?
It depends, each day on the ocean is a surprise. Sometimes we can see one whale only, and other times we will see several species with pods of dolphins including thousands of individuals. We work with nature, the animals are not under our control.
What if the weather isn’t ok?
If the weather doesn’t allow to do this activity safely, we will cancel it and suggest na alternative date.
What is the minimum number of participants?
Please check the minimum number of participant for each tour inside the program’s page.
How many dolphins can I see?
Sometimes less than a dozen, other times up to 50 or more.
I am pregnant but I would like to do whale watching. Is it possible?
In this situation, we advise to go on a tour aboard the catamarans. These boats are more comfortable and stable.