- Stop to Sete Cidades village
- Visit to the surrounding volcanic region of Sete Cidades
- Pre-tour briefing
- Raincoat and pants (if necessary)
- Life jacket (on zodiac & fiberglass boats)
- Marine biologist guides
- Lunch in a local restaurant
- Guide for the Jeep Tour
- Insurance (personal accident and liability)
- Drop off in Ponta Delgada city center (please check the map)
Azores Adventures – Futurismo
Atlantic Giants & the Wonders of Sete Cidades
Whale WatchingSao Miguel island Book now
Atlantic Giants & the Wonders of Sete Cidades
Whale & Dolphin Watching & Jeep Tour to Sete CidadesSao Miguel island
Early in the morning, a briefing will explain to you how whale watching transformed a fight for survival into a dance of cooperation and knowledge.
After a great marine adventure that will take you close to the species in their own habitats, we will drive you to the perfect gem of the Azorean craters: a jeep tour to the enchanted, twin lakes in Sete Cidades, where a legendary love story created splendor in nature.
The entire volcanic complex is a maze of lakes that we will explore, and the mirror of its waters reflects the leafy vegetation in unbelievable shades…
For a breath-taking picture, we will climb to Pico do Carvão, Pico da Cruz, and to the «Vista do Rei» from where king Carlos of Portugal felt a true sovereign.
World-class Whale Watching operator
Futurismo is Internationally Certified by WCA as a Responsible Whale Watching and is globally renown by defining the standards for this activity.
98% success rate
We don’t stop at a 98% success rate. Additional tours offered until you see a cetacean.
One of Portugal 7 wonders
In 2010 were elected the 7 natural wonders of Portugal, and it is no surprise that almost 700,000 voters chose Sete Cidades as one of them!
Nothing can stop us
Onboard our jeeps, we can brave dirt roads that only local farmers take with their huge tractors!
Misteryous underwater world explained
Get to know every detail about the incredible marine wildlife and their hidden secrets thanks to our team of knowledgeable marine biologists.
On the edge
You will go on the edge of the crater rim to see beautiful views of the ocean and the lakes.
Whale and dolphin watching is not to be missed in the Azores, simply because we have great biodiversity inside the waters around São Miguel island. Plus, with Futurismo, you are sure to do it in a sustainable way, as we are recognized by the largest organization for the protection of cetaceans, as a Responsible tour operator!
Why not combine sea and land to discover more about São Miguel? This tour is perfect to explore one of the most beautiful places in all of Portugal: Sete Cidades. It was elected as one of the seven natural wonders of the country. So, jump on our jeep and let our guide lead you to hidden gems.
Harbor of Ponta Delgada
– This great adventure starts at the Marina of Ponta Delgada, in our shop. Our staff will welcome you for the check-in.
– After the check-in, you will be directed to the boat where our marine biologists will give a briefing. They will tell you about the species that you might see, whale watching history in the Azores as well as how we respect the animals.
– Then, we are ready to navigate and look for cetaceans in the wild. On the way, have a look at the coast of our beautiful island, full of magical landscapes.
The Deep Atlantic
– That is where you will encounter the biggest animals. Whales are living in the deep ocean. Some of them simply pass by our waters during their migration.
– Prepare for awe-inspiring moments where time suddenly freezes and natural magic happens right in front of your eyes.
Back to shore
– On the way back to the harbor, take your time to contemplate the amazing landscapes. Try to spot some of the most beautiful sights of the island.
– Enjoy the peaceful and positive energies this magical island has to offer.
Lunch at a Local Restaurant
– Experience some of the most delicious traditional dishes the Azores has to offer. We will have lunch at one of the local restaurants on the island.
Pico do Carvão
– Pico do Carvão Viewpoint, at 825m of altitude, gives a good panorama over São Miguel island. From there, enjoy lovely views of the coasts, lakes surrounded by lush vegetation and the mountains.
Pico da Cruz
– From this fantastic viewpoint, you will feel small in front of the huge Sete Cidades volcanic complex. If the weather conditions are good, you will be able to contemplate Lagoa de Santiago and Lagoa Rasa.
The picturesque Sete Cidades village
– Inside the massive volcanic crater lays the calm picturesque village of Sete Cidades. It is common to see farmers using horses as transportation just like in the “good old days”. Between farmland, forest and grasslands, explore every angle from inside the Volcano.
– Also, located at the end of a path flanked by pine trees take the chance to visit the beautiful church São Nicolau.
Vista do Rei belvedere
– Vista do Rei (“the King’s viewpoint”) is one of the most emblematic and best-known landscapes of São Miguel.
– The splendid panoramic view over one of the 7 Natural Wonders of Portugal is absolutely magical. Indeed, it is a must-see while on holidays in the Azores.
– Its name comes from the visit of King Dom Carlos I and Queen Dona Amelia in 1901. They contemplated Sete Cidades from this very same spot.
1st Whale Watching Company in São Miguel (1990) and largest tour operator in the Azores.
We are certified by the World Cetacean Alliance (WCA), the world’s largest marine conservation organization
All our sea tours are operated by experienced Marine Biologists who also participate in scientific investigations
Comfortable catamaran or fierce zodiac boats, you choose the kind of experience you want.
You’ll receive a full refund if you cancel at least 48 hours in advance
Our guides speak several languages, including English, Spanish, French and German.
Plan your Whale & Dolphin Watching & Jeep Tour to Sete Cidades
What to bring?
- Comfortable light clothes
- Comfortable shoes
- Sunscreen, hat and backpack
- Sweater, raincoat
- Water and snacks (we do not sell food aboard)
- Babies: 0-5 years old – free of charge | Children: 6-12 years old 50% discount
- Catamaran recommended for people with back problems, pregnant women, children and seniors
- If you have any food restriction, please inform us at least 48h before the tour
- Lunch: starter, main dish, dessert, drink, coffee/tea
- Vegetarians: vegetarian meals on request within a maximum of 48 hours before the tour
Good to know
- Cancellations up to 48 hours before the tour, no penalties are applied
- Cancellations up to 24 hours: 50% of the total amount will be charged
- Cancellations less than 24 hours or no-show: full amount will be charged
- If the weather conditions do not allow the activity to be done safely, we will cancel it and contact you suggesting an alternative date or provide a full refund.
Booking confirmation policy
- You will receive a confirmation email within 24 hours of successful booking.
Reviews What people think about
The whale watch was beyond our expectations. The boat was fast and stable, the crew helpful, friendly, and professional. We saw over a dozen sperm whales, a pair of fin whales, and a blue whale.
We also did a really excellent walking tour of Ponta Delgada and two excellent jeep tours. All were excellent and were well worth the time and the price. Futurismo delivered 110%.
We have done 5 trips with Futurismo and they have all been great. Our guide, Thomas, tweaked the agenda a little to suit the needs of our small group.
The full-day whale watching is not to be missed and the dolphin swimming was fantastic, even in rough seas.
Our other highlights were Terra Nostra gardens and hot bathing pools at Furnas and cycling and kayaking at Sete Cidades.
Wow fabulous is the only way to describe this trip – Our guide Gena was very informative and not afraid to try different things
Are the Azores a good whale watching destination?
The Azores are a great whale watching destination, probably one of the best in the whole world. We have sperm whales all year round. Being in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, lots of cetacean species pass by our islands during their annual migration.
Are there any pickup and drop off locations I can use?
Yes, please check the Departure and Return section presented on every tour.
Can I cancel my tour reservation and have a full refund?
Yes, you can check our detailed cancellation and refund policies per tour on each tour page, under “Good to Know” section
Can I take my camera with me during this activity?
Yes, but be aware that your material will be under your responsability.
Can I touch the whales and dolphins?
No, our strict whale and dolphin watching rules forbid to touch the animals. They are wild and we should respect them.
Can I use my drone during this tour?
You cannot use a drone on our tours with other travelers. However, if you really want to fly your drone, it is possible on a private tour with us.
Do you have toilets on the boat?
On the catamarans and the bigger zodiac boats, there is a toilet facility. However on the small zodiac boats there is no toilets.
Do you sell medication for seasickness?
No, we do not sell anything on the boat. If you know that you get easily seasick, it is better to purchase the adequate medication before the tour.
How can I book this activity?
You can select any tour within our website and get your booking confirmation on your email immediately. Alternativelly, you can visit us on our shops or get in touch with us by phone, email or send us a message on social media (Instagram and Facebook)
How many whales and dolphins can I see?
It depends, each day on the ocean is a surprise. Sometimes we can see one whale only, and other times we will see several species with pods of dolphins including thousands of individuals. We work with nature, the animals are not under our control.
What if the weather isn’t ok?
If the weather doesn’t allow to do this activity safely, we will cancel it and suggest na alternative date.
What is the minimum number of participants?
Please check the minimum number of participant for each tour inside the program’s page.
Where is located Sete Cidades?
Sete Cidades is about 40 minutes away from Ponta Delgada. It is situated on the western part of São Miguel island.
What can I do in Sete Cidades?
In addition to enjoying the magical surrounding landscape, during the summertime, it is possible to
How to go to Sete Cidades?
It is better to rent a car and go by yourself. However, wecan offer a transferfrom and to Ponta Delgada. Also, there are some buses from Ponta Delgada. More information in the tourist office.
Top Sights Whale & Dolphin Watching & Jeep Tour to Sete Cidades
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Sign Up for Email Updates on News & Offers