- Certified guide
- Swimming in an iron-rich hot water swimming pool
- Tasting the typical “Cozido” meal
- Pick up and drop off in Ponta Delgada
- Insurance (personal accident and liability)
The Mystic Furnas Valley
Van ToursSao Miguel island
The Mystic Furnas Valley
Van Tour to Furnas – Thematic TourSao Miguel island
The Valley of Furnas is one of the largest thermal hydropolis in the world. Its iron-rich, sulphur waters that sprout everywhere are there to be tasted, felt, experienced.
It is the land of the «rusty» streams, rushing amongst plantations and leaving a trail of gold behind; of the unreal reflection of a Gothic chapel in the surface of the lagoon; of the constant, liquid whisper of the heavy and mighty vegetation, of the botanical gardens, of the penetrating smell of absolute nature.
A place where mud bubbles at the surface of the earth, and where you find huge caramel-colored tanks where you soak in warm, medicinal waters; it will also be the place where to taste one of the most exotic dishes of the world: a variety of vegetables and meat cooked in the earthy steam, under the soil.
Comfort and safety hand in hand
Time in the Azores is slower and on board one of our comfortable vans, it is even better to discover the beautiful island of São Miguel.
Mouth watering “Cozido das Furnas”
The comfortable van tours have included regional cuisine from the Azores. Cozido das Furnas will be at your table, for sure on the Van tour to Furnas!
The geological wonder of São Miguel
In Furnas, there are so many curious geological points of interest.
One of the oldest tea plantations in Europe
Gorreana and Porto Formoso tea plantations are the only two in Europe with commercial production.
Eden garden is in São Miguel!
Terra Nostra Garden was created nearly 2.5 centuries ago, it has an area of more than 12,5 acres and a large collection of plants that keeps increasing, among them Shrubs, Palm Tress, Camelias and endemic species. A must-visit in São Miguel!
The biggest hydropolis in Europe
It’s here, in Furnas, that one of the largest hydropoles in Europe is located! We can find a great diversity and quantity of mineral and thermal waters that you must try!
On this complete tour, you will feel and experience the volcanic origins of the island in Furnas, a magical place full of geothermal activity.
There are fumaroles with cooking pans inside, a mysterious lake with a gothic church, warm thermal waters, a botanical garden with hundreds of flora species, and the good news is that you will see all of it!
One highlight in this day is that you will taste the famous Cozido das Furnas, a dish cooked under the hot soil thanks to the volcanic activity. Delicious, and pretty heavy…
Gorreana Tea Factory
– After the check-in or pick-up in Ponta Delgada, we will start with a visit to the local tea factory Gorreana. It is the oldest tea plantation in Europe, cultivating tea since 1883.
– Enjoy the beautiful perspectives over the tea labyrinth. And get to know more about this family-owned business.
Pico do Ferro
– Next stop: Pico do Ferro, the most famous viewpoint over Lagoa das Furnas. You will definitely have to take pictures for your album about the Azores.
Caldeiras das Furnas
– Then, we will go to Caldeiras das Furnas to visit the famous fumaroles. Do not miss the opportunity to try the gasocarbonic mineral waters from different springs.
Cozido das Furnas
– Passing by Lagoa das Furnas, the local restaurant is our next stop to taste the famous “Cozido”. It is one of the most emblematic dishes of the Azores.
– Cozido is a mixture of regional vegetables and meat cooked with the help of volcanic activity. So far, a gastronomic experience you cannot miss.
Terra Nostra botanical garden & hot springs
– After lunch, we will visit the centenary Terra Nostra botanical garden. It is particularly famous for its extraordinary collection of native plants. It also shows vegetation from all over the world that has adapted to the local conditions.
– You can also go for a dip in the iron-rich hot water swimming pool with a temperature of 35-40°C (95-104°F). A relaxing experience.
Vila Franca do Campo
– On the way back to Ponta Delgada, we will pass by the South Coast and Vila Franca do Campo.
– There, you will see the Princess Ring islet and know more about the first capital of the island. Also, our guide will tell you about the strong earthquake of 1522.
Venture beyond the extraordinary. Unrivaled adventure
Largest tour operator in the Azores with 30 years of experience
At Futurismo, we think that educating and raising awareness among the young ones is very important for the future
We’re here to make your experience incredible. Reach us by phone, email, or WhatsApp
Apart from being a responsible tour operator, we also have a social commitment with many local organizations
Plan your Van Tour to Furnas – Thematic Tour
What to bring?
- Comfortable light clothes
- Hiking boots or shoes
- Sweater, raincoat
- Sunscreen, hat and backpack
- Swimsuit & towel
- Water and snacks
- If you have any food restriction, please inform us at least 48h before the tour
- Cancellations up to 48 hours before the tour, no penalties are applied
- Cancellations up to 24 hours: 50% of the total amount will be charged
- Cancellations less than 24 hours or no-show: full amount will be charged
- If the weather conditions do not allow the activity to be done safely, we will cancel it and contact you suggesting an alternative date or provide a full refund.
Booking confirmation policy
- You will receive a confirmation email within 24 hours of successful booking.
Reviews What people think about
An incredible experience led by our guides João, Rubén, and Paulo.
Highly recommended and very well explained excursion!
We have done 5 trips with Futurismo and they have all been great. Our guide, Thomas, tweaked the agenda a little to suit the needs of our small group.
The full-day whale watching is not to be missed and the dolphin swimming was fantastic, even in rough seas.
Our other highlights were Terra Nostra gardens and hot bathing pools at Furnas and cycling and kayaking at Sete Cidades.
We spent six full days in São Miguel. The itineraries (including dolphin watching) are very complete. The guide who accompanied us for 5 days (Patxi) very professional and friendly. We recommend 100%!
Can I cancel my tour reservation and have a full refund?
Yes, you can check our detailed cancellation and refund policies per tour on each tour page, under “Good to Know” section
Can I take my camera with me during this activity?
Yes, but be aware that your material will be under your responsability.
How can I book this activity?
You can select any tour within our website and get your booking confirmation on your email immediately. Alternativelly, you can visit us on our shops or get in touch with us by phone, email or send us a message on social media (Instagram and Facebook)
Is this an adventure kind of tour?
It is a great adventure, but not physically demanding.
What if the weather isn’t ok?
If the weather doesn’t allow to do this activity safely, we will cancel it and suggest na alternative date.
What is the minimum number of participants?
Please check the minimum number of participant for each tour inside the program’s page.
What if I don’t want to bathe in the hot spring at Terra Nostra?
Bathing in the hot pools of Terra Nostra is not mandatory. You can also enjoy the botanical garden and relax on a bench.
Where is Furnas?
Furnas is located about 43km (27 miles) away from Ponta Delgada Eastward. It takes approximately 40 minutes to go there without stopping.
What is Cozido das Furnas?
Cozido is one of the most typical and emblematic dishes of São Miguel. What is special about it is that all the ingredients are placed in a pan which is buried in the hot ground next to the natural boilers of Furnas. The average cooking time is 5 hours. The recipe usually includes chicken, beef, pig leg, bacon, pork chop, potatoes, carrots, sweet potatoes, cabbage, kale, black pudding, chorizo, and yams. Check our video.
Are there particular recommendations when taking a dip into the iron-rich hot pool?
Yes, avoid white or light-colored swimsuit, because they could turn orange-yellowish. Don’t wear jewelry while in the pool because it could also turn into another color due to the iron inside the water. Also, avoid getting your hair wet especially if you have dyed hair because it can become dry or change the color. Otherwise, just enjoy this extraordinary experience.
Top Sights Van Tour to Furnas – Thematic Tour
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Sign Up for Email Updates on News & Offers