- Certified guide
- Entrance & equipment to Gruta das Torres
- Insurance (personal accident and liability)
Azores Adventures – Futurismo
Inside a lava cave in Pico
Van ToursPico island Book now
Inside a lava cave in Pico
Van Tour – Pico Island Lava CavePico island
Underneath the island lies another underground world that crosses its interior and exhibits the evidence of an earthy, violent past, as scars that can be visited.
These landscapes, however, also mark the surface of the earth with admirable features, impossible to be found in any other area.
As Plato’s Allegory of the Cave, descend to this cave in our company:
Be astonished by the unexpected beauty found in the underground, in the uninhabited depths, and by its miracles that demonstrate the intense, eternal activity of the earth under our feet, while we move at the surface, ignoring it…
Lagoa do Capitão
This is one of the most beautiful lakes in Pico, located in the countryside of the island.
Gruta das Torres
Enter inside with us in this lava tube, the longest in Portugal.
The fog clears and voilà, we can glimpse Lagoa do Capitão in a wonderful setting of green tones.
In the Azores archipelago don’t worry about the cloudy weather. If suddenly there are clouds, most days, they quickly fade and the sun shines again in some part of the island!
On this tour we will also take you to the largest lava tunnel in Portugal. Did you know that more than 130 lava caves have been discovered on the island?
At Gruta das Torres, observe the various types of lava and geological formations such as lava stalactites and stalagmites. It is particularly interesting because it is practically in its natural state.
Lajes do Pico
– Starting our tour in Lajes do Pico, we will drive up to the highland of the island. There, one of Pico’s most beautiful lakes lies: Lagoa do Capitão.
Lagoa do Capitão
– We can enjoy an excellent panorama of the stratovolcano Pico with the lake in the foreground.
– On the other side, contemplate the wide view of the neighbor island São Jorge and the blue ocean. In the surrounding area, there are still patches of endemic vegetation.
– At Lagoa do Capitão, there is especially a high presence of Azoren Juniper (Juniperus Brevifolia). Nowadays, a vulnerable species.
– Then, passing the majestic Pico mountain, we will continue in the direction of Madalena.
Gruta das Torres
– When we arrive at Gruta das Torres, we will get our equipment for the upcoming underground adventure with a helmet and flashlights.
– During the guided tour of approximately 1 hour, we will visit around 500m of the total 5,150m long lava tube.
– The tube extends from Cabeço Bravo towards Criação Velha lava fields. Along the cavity, we will discover rare and valuable bacteria, as well as interesting formations. Namely, ropy lava, stalactites and stalagmites, side benches, and lava balls.
– Back at the surface, we return to Lajes do Pico, where we will discover more about the island’s geology.
Venture beyond the extraordinary. Unrivaled adventure
Largest tour operator in the Azores with 30 years of experience
At Futurismo, we think that educating and raising awareness among the young ones is very important for the future
We’re here to make your experience incredible. Reach us by phone, email, or WhatsApp
Apart from being a responsible tour operator, we also have a social commitment with many local organizations
Plan your Van Tour – Pico Island Lava Cave
What to bring?
- Comfortable light clothes
- Hiking boots or shoes
- Sweater, raincoat
- Sunscreen, hat and backpack
- Water and snacks
- You can book for fewer people. If the minimum is not met on that daym tou can reschedule, assume the full value of the experience (3 people) or cancel at least 48 hours beforehand
- To visit the lava tube you should be comfortable to walk n an irregular rocky ground in an ambient with little light
- Even though the cave has enough space to walk mostly upright, it might be a resriction for claustrophobic persons
- Please note that, for security reasons, they do not allow the entrance in flip flops
Good to know
- Cancellations up to 48 hours before the tour, no penalties are applied
- Cancellations up to 24 hours: 50% of the total amount will be charged
- Cancellations less than 24 hours or no-show: full amount will be charged
- If the weather conditions do not allow the activity to be done safely, we will cancel it and contact you suggesting an alternative date or provide a full refund.
Booking confirmation policy
- You will receive a confirmation email within 24 hours of successful booking.
Reviews What people think about
John Smith, USA
Excellent English spoken and very knowledgeable guides. The company shows true passion for working with guests and imparting a good cultural experience.
We did a few tours with them and all their guides were sharp, friendly, and knowledgeable. They have many tours to offer.
Unmissable, spectacular, repeating, and worth every euro!
Can I cancel my tour reservation and have a full refund?
Yes, you can check our detailed cancellation and refund policies per tour on each tour page, under “Good to Know” section
Can I take my camera with me during this activity?
Yes, but be aware that your material will be under your responsability.
How can I book this activity?
You can select any tour within our website and get your booking confirmation on your email immediately. Alternativelly, you can visit us on our shops or get in touch with us by phone, email or send us a message on social media (Instagram and Facebook)
Is this an adventure kind of tour?
It is a great adventure, but not physically demanding.
What if the weather isn’t ok?
If the weather doesn’t allow to do this activity safely, we will cancel it and suggest na alternative date.
What is the minimum number of participants?
Please check the minimum number of participant for each tour inside the program’s page.
Top Sights Van Tour – Pico Island Lava Cave
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Sign Up for Email Updates on News & Offers