- Pre-tour briefing
- Mask and snorkel
- Wetsuit (short or long)
- Raincoat and pants (if necessary)
- Life jacket (on zodiac & fiberglass boats)
- Marine biologist guides
- Regional tea after the boat trip
- Lunch in a local restaurant
- Guide for the Jeep Tour
- Drop off in Ponta Delgada city center (please check the map)
- Insurance (personal accident and liability)
Feel the Nature's Vibration
Swimming with DolphinsSao Miguel island Request Tour
Feel the Nature's Vibration
Swimming with Dolphins & Jeep Tour Sete CidadesSao Miguel island
A kind and curious species, these animals make us relive ancient tales in which the seas where crossed on the back of a dolphin:
Hear the dolphin community communicate amongst itself; listen to the sound of the sea breeze as a background; immerse yourself in this saga of salt and freedom.
A pause for gastronomy and our jeep goes along the north coast of a volcanic complex that will take you to the summit; the view from the top, over grazing pastures and water mirrors, torpifies…
When descending towards the lagoons and watching them close one to the other, contrasting the green and the blue, one understands why this location was proclaimed one of the seven wonders of the world…
We cover dirt paths never explored before. The jeep trip with an experienced guide behind the wheel involves routes outside the typical tourist itinerary.
Here in the Azores, we can spot so many different species of dolphins! They seem to love our waters.
One of Portugal 7 wonders
In 2010 were elected the 7 natural wonders of Portugal, and it is no surprise that almost 700,000 voters chose Sete Cidades as one of them!
Look into the eyes of a wild dolphin
Having eye contact with dolphins and hearing them communicate is for sure memories that you will cherish for the rest of your life
Wild dolphins secrets revealed
The marine biologist guide aboard knows everything about dolphins and will be happy to share the knowledge with you, for an educative experience.
Eden garden is in São Miguel
The pure nature you will see during this tour is really incredible.
If you want a full day of emotions, then this tour was made for you. Why choose just one amazing experience when you can combine two absolutely delighful ones? In the ocean and on land, our guides will take care of making this day special.
Explore the deep Atlantic ocean as well as the deep countryside of São Miguel island. If you love discovering unique and less known places, book this tour!
Harbor of Ponta Delgada
– This great adventure starts at the Marina of Ponta Delgada, in our shop. Our staff will welcome you for the check-in.
Before heading to the Atlantic
– Before hopping on the boat, our team of marine biologists will explain everything you need to know for this experience. They will tell you how to get into the water and how to interact with the dolphins. And of course, how to use the snorkel and the mask. Those are important information to take the most out of this experience.
– After the briefing, you will be guided to a zodiac boat. These small and fast boats are perfect to reach the animals easily.
Out in the sea
– During the tour, you might swim with different dolphin species. Among them: Bottlenose dolphins, Common dolphins, Risso’s dolphins, Striped dolphins or Atlantic spotted dolphins. Some of them might be curious and get closer, others will be shy and keep a distance.
– Unlike in other destinations around the world, we do not allow to touch the dolphins. This is because we want to keep them wild and relaxed about human interaction. The tour will be operated on our zodiac boat with a maximum of 8 participants aboard.
– Also, there will be only two persons in the water at a time to be sure not to scare the dolphins away and respect them.
Lunch at a Local Restaurant
– Experience some of the most delicious traditional dishes the Azores has to offer. We will have lunch at one of the local restaurants on the island.
Around Sete Cidades
– A guide will continue the day with you and take you to the famous Sete Cidades lakes in a jeep.
– 1st stop: the northern rim of the volcanic complex called Cumeeira Grande. The views and landscapes are incredible and that is why this is one of Portugal’s seven natural wonders.
Lomba do Vasco
– We will stop at the viewpoint of Lomba do Vasco. From there, you can see the volcanic islets of Mosteiros emerging out of the ocean.
Sete Cidades village & São Nicolau church
– We will also show you the center of Sete Cidades town with its famous church São Nicolau. You will learn everything about this wonderful place. Definitely, a must do!
Way back home
– After some breathtaking views such as Vista do Rei viewpoint, we will take you back to Ponta Delgada.
We are certified by the World Cetacean Alliance (WCA), the world’s largest marine conservation organization
All our sea tours are operated by experienced Marine Biologists who also participate in scientific investigations
With over 21.000+ sighting records, we collaborate in investigations for 20+ international universities
You’ll receive a full refund if you cancel at least 48 hours in advance
Plan your Swimming with Dolphins & Jeep Tour Sete Cidades
What to bring?
- Swimsuit, towel and flip flops
- Comfortable clothes and shoes
- Sunscreen, hat
- Water and snacks
- You must feel comfortable swimming in the open ocean and know how to use a mask and snorkel. Children from 8 years old can participate accompanied by a responsible adult as long as they fulfill these requirements.
- We don’t recommend this tour for people who don’t know how to swim, pregnant women and people with back problems
- If you have any food restriction, please inform us at least 48h before the tour
- For this tour, is mandatory to sign a statement of responsibility
- The use of fins is prohibited in every swimming with dolphins tours.
- Cancellations up to 48 hours before the tour, no penalties are applied
- Cancellations up to 24 hours: 50% of the total amount will be charged
- Cancellations less than 24 hours or no-show: full amount will be charged
- If the weather conditions do not allow the activity to be done safely, we will cancel it and contact you suggesting an alternative date or provide a full refund.
Booking confirmation policy
- You will receive a confirmation email within 24 hours of successful booking.
Reviews What people think about
We were so blessed on this trip; we swam with so many dolphins it was beyond exciting!
Futurismo was brilliant; efficient, but still very friendly, as they prepped us for the ‘swimming with dolphins’ trip, never making our party feel like just another tourist group. Just watching the dolphins interact with the boat, surfing & weaving under our boat was incredible, but then to actually be privileged enough to spend time in their habitat was special.
I won’t bore you with too much personal reflection here but suffice to say if I could go out on this trip again I would do it in a heartbeat.
The experience itself was incredible. I wouldn’t exactly call it “swimming with dolphins” as you wait for them to come to you.
But they can get fairly close to people in the water, you really can see a lot once you get used to bobbing about in the middle of the Atlantic, and when everyone is in their boat the dolphins come right up to it and swim all around and under it. A terrific experience
You get a thin wetsuit, a windbreaker (you’ll love it when you’re wet and your zodiac boat is running), and a mask+snorkel set. The zodiac boat captain is trying to spot the dolphins and understand their route, stops the boat, and then it’s your turn to jump into the ocean hoping to see the dolphins underwater.
After 60 seconds you go back to the boat and the whole process is repeated many times. We did have a lot of fun.
It was an excellent experience. A very dedicated team who explained clearly the procedures especially due to the current pandemic. We met loads of friendly dolphins and saw them close by underwater in the Atlantic Ocean. Will surely be back.
We have done 5 trips with Futurismo and they have all been great. Our guide, Thomas, tweaked the agenda a little to suit the needs of our small group.
The full-day whale watching is not to be missed and the dolphin swimming was fantastic, even in rough seas.
Our other highlights were Terra Nostra gardens and hot bathing pools at Furnas and cycling and kayaking at Sete Cidades.
Are the Azores a good destination to swim with dolphins?
Yes, we have several resident species all year round in addition to migratory species during the summertime. Moreover, the sea temperatures are always acceptable.
Are there any pickup and drop off locations I can use?
Yes, please check the Departure and Return section presented on every tour.
Can I cancel my tour reservation and have a full refund?
Yes, you can check our detailed cancellation and refund policies per tour on each tour page, under “Good to Know” section
Can I hear the dolphins?
Yes. It is very common to hear their whistles underwater.
Can I take my camera with me during this activity?
Yes, but be aware that your material will be under your responsability.
Can I touch the dolphins?
No. Our responsible swim with dolphin guidelines forbid touching these inquisitive but wild animals. Just breathe, relax and enjoy this unforgettable moment
Can I use fins to swim faster?
No, in order to respect the ethic practices for this activity, using fins or any equipment other than the snorkeling mask and tube, and the swim suit, are strictly prohibited.
Do I have to wear the life jacket even if I know how to swim?
Yes, life jackets are mandatory for everyone for safety reasons.
Do I need to be in a good physical condition for this tour?
You need to know how to swim and feel comfortable with being in the open ocean.
How can I book this activity?
You can select any tour within our website and get your booking confirmation on your email immediately. Alternativelly, you can visit us on our shops or get in touch with us by phone, email or send us a message on social media (Instagram and Facebook)
I am pregnant but I would like to do this activity. Is it possible?
We don’t recommend this tour for pregnant women.
What if the weather isn’t ok?
If the weather doesn’t allow to do this activity safely, we will cancel it and suggest na alternative date.
What is the minimum number of participants?
Please check the minimum number of participant for each tour inside the program’s page.
Where is located Sete Cidades?
Sete Cidades is about 40 minutes away from Ponta Delgada. It is situated on the western part of São Miguel island.
What can I do in Sete Cidades?
In addition to enjoying the magical surrounding landscape, during the summertime, it is possible to
How to go to Sete Cidades?
The best way is to rent a car and go by yourself. However, we can offer a transfer from and to Ponta Delgada. Also, there are some buses from Ponta Delgada. More information in the tourist office.