- Pre-tour briefing
- Mask and snorkel
- Wetsuit (short or long)
- Raincoat and pants (if necessary)
- Life jacket
- Marine biologist guides
- Insurance (personal accident and liability)
Azores Adventures – Futurismo
The Wild Dolphins of Pico
Swimming with DolphinsPico island Book now
The Wild Dolphins of Pico
Swimming with Dolphins in Lajes do PicoPico island
While nature is as impressive as unpredictable, «Futurismo» has years of expertise, enough to persuade it:
Placing you in the habitat of dolphins, turning the Atlantic into a sweet, humorous, and comprehensive meeting place, that is our irrefutable offer to you.
The communication sounds produced by these creatures will be the music in your ears; the clarity of the water, your magnifying glass. This experience will define you a new place in the world.
Wild dolphins secrets revealed
The marine biologist guide aboard knows everything about dolphins and will be happy to share the knowledge with you, for an educative experience.
Here in the Azores, we can spot so many different species of dolphins! They seem to love our waters.
Look into the eyes of a wild dolphin
Having eye contact with dolphins and hearing them communicate is for sure memories that you will cherish for the rest of your life
A once-in-a-lifetime experience
This is truly a unique experience that few people on Earth will ever have the chance to live. Take your opportunity now.
Hear them communicate
Do you know what does a dolphin sounds like? You might have an idea. Believe us, in real life, it is even better!
Choose to contribute to the preservation of cetaceans, choose to see them with us, where they belong, in the ocean.
Fulfill your deepest dream and join us to swim with wild dolphins in the Azores!
This is definitely a must-do when visiting the archipelago.
In addition to swimming with the dolphins in their natural habitat, you will also learn so much about these intelligent animals.
Whilst you are in the water, you can also hear them communicate with their click and whistle sounds. An amazing underwater experience.
– At Lajes do Pico, our qualified biologists will brief you before going out on the ocean for about 2.5 hours. They will tell you all you need to know about swimming with dolphins in Pico.
– You will learn how to enter the water, how to behave around wild dolphins and how to swim with them while respecting them, as well as how to use the snorkel and mask.
Out in the sea
– During the tour, you might swim with different dolphin species. Among them: Bottlenose dolphins, Common dolphins, Risso’s dolphins, Striped dolphins or Atlantic spotted dolphins. Some of them might be curious and get closer, others will be shy and keep a distance.
– Unlike in other destinations around the world, we do not allow to touch the dolphins. This is because we want to keep them wild and relaxed about human interaction. The tour will be operated on our zodiac boat with a maximum of 8 participants aboard.
– Also, there will be only two persons in the water at a time to be sure not to scare the dolphins away and respect them.
We are certified by the World Cetacean Alliance (WCA), the world’s largest marine conservation organization
All our sea tours are operated by experienced Marine Biologists who also participate in scientific investigations
With over 21.000+ sighting records, we collaborate in investigations for 20+ international universities
You’ll receive a full refund if you cancel at least 48 hours in advance
Plan your Swimming with Dolphins in Lajes do Pico
What to bring?
- Swimsuit & towel
- Sunscreen, hat
- Flip flops
- Water and snacks
- We don’t recommend this tour for people who don’t know how to swim, pregnant women and people with back problems
- For this tour, is mandatory to sign a statement of responsibility
- The use of fins is prohibited in every swimming with dolphins tours.
Good to know
- Cancellations up to 48 hours before the tour, no penalties are applied
- Cancellations up to 24 hours: 50% of the total amount will be charged
- Cancellations less than 24 hours or no-show: full amount will be charged
- If the weather conditions do not allow the activity to be done safely, we will cancel it and contact you suggesting an alternative date or provide a full refund.
Booking confirmation policy
- You will receive a confirmation email within 24 hours of successful booking.
Reviews What people think about
The experience itself was incredible. I wouldn’t exactly call it “swimming with dolphins” as you wait for them to come to you.
But they can get fairly close to people in the water, you really can see a lot once you get used to bobbing about in the middle of the Atlantic, and when everyone is in their boat the dolphins come right up to it and swim all around and under it. A terrific experience
It was an excellent experience. A very dedicated team who explained clearly the procedures especially due to the current pandemic. We met loads of friendly dolphins and saw them close by underwater in the Atlantic Ocean. Will surely be back.
Joana Cardoso, Portugal
After swimming with the dolphins in open sea I was feeling differently… I felt such a powerful energy. It’s an experience that I recommend to everybody!
We were so blessed on this trip; we swam with so many dolphins it was beyond exciting!
Futurismo was brilliant; efficient, but still very friendly, as they prepped us for the ‘swimming with dolphins’ trip, never making our party feel like just another tourist group. Just watching the dolphins interact with the boat, surfing & weaving under our boat was incredible, but then to actually be privileged enough to spend time in their habitat was special.
I won’t bore you with too much personal reflection here but suffice to say if I could go out on this trip again I would do it in a heartbeat.
Are the Azores a good destination to swim with dolphins?
Yes, we have several resident species all year round in addition to migratory species during the summertime. Moreover, the sea temperatures are always acceptable.
Can I hear the dolphins?
Yes. It is very common to hear their whistles underwater.
Can I touch the dolphins?
No. Our responsible swim with dolphin guidelines forbid touching these inquisitive but wild animals. Just breathe, relax and enjoy this unforgettable moment
Can I use fins to swim faster?
No, in order to respect the ethic practices for this activity, using fins or any equipment other than the snorkeling mask and tube, and the swim suit, are strictly prohibited.
Do I have to wear the life jacket even if I know how to swim?
Yes, life jackets are mandatory for everyone for safety reasons.
Do I need to be in a good physical condition for this tour?
You need to know how to swim and feel comfortable with being in the open ocean.
How can I book this activity?
You can select any tour within our website and get your booking confirmation on your email immediately. Alternativelly, you can visit us on our shops or get in touch with us by phone, email or send us a message on social media (Instagram and Facebook)
I am pregnant but I would like to do this activity. Is it possible?
We don’t recommend this tour for pregnant women.
What if the weather isn’t ok?
If the weather doesn’t allow to do this activity safely, we will cancel it and suggest na alternative date.
What is the minimum number of participants?
Please check the minimum number of participant for each tour inside the program’s page.
Top Sights Swimming with Dolphins in Lajes do Pico
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Sign Up for Email Updates on News & Offers