- Certified guide
- Walking sticks
- Stop to Sete Cidades village
- Visit to Sete Cidades and surrounding volcanic region
- Picnic lunch (sandwich, cake, fruit, water, juice)
- Pick up and drop off in Ponta Delgada (please check the Map)
- Insurance (personal accident and liability)
Azores Adventures – Futurismo
To the Top of the Volcano
Hiking ToursSao Miguel island Book now
To the Top of the Volcano
Hiking Tour to Sete Cidades – Full daySao Miguel island
The west side of the island, covered in a long trail of enchantment and amazing tales, offers calmness in every stop and stories that thrill.
Iconic walls, with old windows opened in the basaltic rock, and explosive colors which bloom in every recess.
To range the back of this giant – the island cuddled by the ocean -, being able to admire from its top the greenery disrupted, at times, by the sheer fit of the lagoons; to enter a small, old town connected to the rest of the community by a tunnel; those are unprecedent experiences.
The ultimate prize is the overview of the lagoons – two soul mates whose waters (a perfect green and a sublime blue) never blend.
The whole volcanic crater
Cumeeira Grande is a trail that goes all around Sete Cidades volcanic crater, that is quite a nice challenge.
You will have views on the lakes as well as the ocean and pass by roads full of hortensias during summertime.
One of the 7 wonders of Portugal
This is a complete hike to discover the wonderful region of Sete Cidades.
Scientific and sociologic approach
On this tour you will have the opportunity to learn more about the fauna, flora, history and culture of this magical place called Azores.
Our driver guide will explain you lots of interesting facts about the island and Sete Cidades.
This linear hiking trail is located in the protected landscape of Sete Cidades, renowned as one of the Seven Natural Wonders of Portugal.
Once you have a view over the two-colored lakes, you can understand why this is so famous.
Our guides will also tell you about the legend around the two lakes. One hint, it is about love!
Let the adventure begin
– After the check-in at our shop, or the pick-up in Ponta Delgada, let our adventure begin. Our guide will welcome you and lead you to one of our comfortable vehicles for a great experience.
Road to Sete Cidades
– We will leave to discover the west side of the island, Sete Cidades. Enjoy the ride, then it will be a long hiking trail, but easy enough for families.
Pico da Cruz
– From this fantastic viewpoint, you will feel small in front of the huge Sete Cidades volcanic complex. If the weather conditions are good, you will be able to contemplate Lagoa de Santiago and Lagoa Rasa.
Along the rim of the Volcano
– Along our walk, we will be surrounded at first from the elegant Japanese Red Cedar and then some exotic vegetation.
– You will learn a lot about the local fauna & flora, the history and culture of Sete Cidades.
– We will also talk about the tunnel that reaches the west coast down to Mosteiros and was once used as a shortcut by the habitants of the village. Also, you will learn more about the geological formation of the island. Our guide will tell you as well about the sweet love legend of the Green and the Blue lakes.
The picturesque Sete Cidades village
– Inside the massive volcanic crater lays the calm picturesque village of Sete Cidades. It is common to see farmers using horses as transportation just like in the “good old days”. Between farmland, forest and grasslands, explore every angle from inside the Volcano.
– Also, located at the end of a path flanked by pine trees take the chance to visit the beautiful church São Nicolau.
Way back home
– At the end of this experience, we will drop you back in Ponta Delgada.
Venture beyond the extraordinary. Unrivaled adventure
Largest tour operator in the Azores with 30 years of experience
At Futurismo, we think that educating and raising awareness among the young ones is very important for the future
We’re here to make your experience incredible. Reach us by phone, email, or WhatsApp
Apart from being a responsible tour operator, we also have a social commitment with many local organizations
Plan your Hiking Tour to Sete Cidades – Full day
What to bring?
- Comfortable light clothes
- Sweater, raincoat
- Sunscreen, hat and backpack
- Hiking boots or shoes
- Water and snacks
- If you have any food restriction, please inform us at least 48h before the tour
Good to know
- Cancellations up to 48 hours before the tour, no penalties are applied
- Cancellations up to 24 hours: 50% of the total amount will be charged
- Cancellations less than 24 hours or no-show: full amount will be charged
- If the weather conditions do not allow the activity to be done safely, we will cancel it and contact you suggesting an alternative date or provide a full refund.
Booking confirmation policy
- You will receive a confirmation email within 24 hours of successful booking.
Reviews What people think about
Jorgen Johansen, Sweden
I enjoyed particularly the fact that we could visit São Miguel on the jeep tour and got a whole different idea from our last trip. Knowledgeable information is given by the guide about the island specially concerning Azorean history and traditions. Great service and wonderful friendly guides!
Unmissable, spectacular, repeating, and worth every euro!
I really love this company because they care and treat the dolphins with the utmost respect.
Are there any pickup and drop off locations I can use?
Yes, please check the Departure and Return section presented on every tour.
Can I cancel my tour reservation and have a full refund?
Yes, you can check our detailed cancellation and refund policies per tour on each tour page, under “Good to Know” section
Can I take my camera with me during this activity?
Yes, but be aware that your material will be under your responsability.
How can I book this activity?
You can select any tour within our website and get your booking confirmation on your email immediately. Alternativelly, you can visit us on our shops or get in touch with us by phone, email or send us a message on social media (Instagram and Facebook)
I am pregnant but I would like to do this activity. Is it possible?
We don’t recommend this tour for pregnant women.
What if the weather isn’t ok?
If the weather doesn’t allow to do this activity safely, we will cancel it and suggest na alternative date.
What is the minimum number of participants?
Please check the minimum number of participant for each tour inside the program’s page.
Can I see the Sete Cidades crater on this walk?
Yes, if cloud cover does not restrict the view, you will be able to see the crater and walk part of the rim of the crater.
When the sea tide is not low at Ponta da Ferraria, is it still possible to bathe in the natural swimming pool?
If the sea conditions allow (low waves and weak wind), you can still bathe in the natural swimming pool, although the water will not be as warm as when the tide is low because there will be a bigger quantity of cold water from the ocean.
Where is located Sete Cidades?
Sete Cidades is about 40 minutes away from Ponta Delgada. It is situated on the western part of São Miguel island.
What can I do in Sete Cidades?
In addition to enjoying the magical surrounding landscape, during the summertime, it is possible to
How to go to Sete Cidades?
It is better to rent a car and go by yourself. However, wecan offer a transferfrom and to Ponta Delgada. Also, there are some buses from Ponta Delgada. More information in the tourist office.
Top Sights Hiking Tour to Sete Cidades – Full day
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Sign Up for Email Updates on News & Offers