- Possibility to swim in the natural pool at Maia harbour
- Certified guide
- Walking sticks
- Picnic lunch (sandwich, cake, fruit, water, juice)
- Pick up and drop off in Ponta Delgada (please check the Map)
- Insurance (personal accident and liability)
Azores Adventures – Futurismo
A true Island Odyssey | Ribeira Funda
Hiking ToursSao Miguel island Request Tour
A true Island Odyssey | Ribeira Funda
Hiking Tour to Ribeira Funda – Full daySao Miguel island
At Coroa da Mata, amidst rows of hydrangeas, the Ponta do Cintrão enters the sea in an aftermath of colors confronting land and water.
Then we find the streams that lead us, as before, to impressive ruins, once places filled with life, among the endemic vegetation and the scent of sun-heated berries.
Passing by vineyards, old tobacco drying structures, and a secluded beach, History will walk with us along the entire way.
At last, a fishing harbor that maintains the artisanal labor, and natural swimming-pools weaved in the basaltic rocks provide the perfect dive in communion with nature.
Look up for the birds
On this trail, it is possible to see several birds such as Kites (Buteo buteo rothschildi), Common blackbirds (Turdus merula) and many other ones.
Ruins on the way
This trails shows some old ruins of levadas (irrigation channel or aqueduct specific to the Portuguese Atlantic region), as well as watermills.
When you go up, you can see the North coast of São Miguel but also the volcanic complex of Sete Cidades in the West and Ponta dos Fenais da Ajuda in the other direction.
Discover some ancient water mill ruins and the waterfall of Ribeira Funda.
Tobacco production is one of the main economic activities in Maia. Visit this museum for more info about this.
Dive in the Atlantic
Between intimate beaches and outstanding natural clear water pools, a deep in the Atlantic is mandatory.
There is so much to discover along the North coast of São Miguel island!
And in this trail is all about water.
Indeed, you will pass by rivers, waterfalls, panoramic views of the ocean, but also old water mill ruins, and other vestiges related to the importance of water.
But this is not just a simple hiking tour. There will even be the opportunity to have a swim in the ocean, in order to refresh yourself after a good effort.
Let the adventure begin
– After the check-in at our shop, or the pick-up in Ponta Delgada, let our adventure begin. Our guide will welcome you and lead you to one of our comfortable vehicles for a great experience.
Fenais da Ajuda
– Once ready, let’s drive eastward to reach Fenais da Ajuda, where we will begin the walking trip. On the way, we will stop by Coroa da Mata to see the beautiful view over Ponta do Cintrão.
– Here you have a panoramic view over the largest plain on São Miguel island, where the city of Ribeira Grande is located.
– The 5km trail starts in Ribeira Funda, in front of Ermida Nossa Senhora da Aflição. We will follow the stream downwards. There, we will discover some ancient water mill ruins and the waterfall of Ribeira Funda.
– Crossing the stream bed will lead us to the route going towards Viola beach. Then, we will take a break for our light meal and relax a bit before resuming our trip.
Between vineyards and tobacco productions
– Back on the trail , you will discover some vineyards and the tobacco production area until reaching the village of Maia. We will explain you everything about them and how they impact the way of living of the local people.
– The trail ends next to Maia’s fishing harbor. Feel free to take a dip in the natural pools or beach.
– We suggest swimming at Maia beach because Viola beach can have stronger currents and for this reason it is better for people who don’t feel comfortable in the ocean.
Way back home
– At the end of this experience, we will drop you back in Ponta Delgada.
Venture beyond the extraordinary. Unrivaled adventure
Largest tour operator in the Azores with 30 years of experience
At Futurismo, we think that educating and raising awareness among the young ones is very important for the future
We’re here to make your experience incredible. Reach us by phone, email, or WhatsApp
Apart from being a responsible tour operator, we also have a social commitment with many local organizations
Plan your Hiking Tour to Ribeira Funda – Full day
What to bring?
- Comfortable light clothes
- Hiking boots or shoes
- Sunscreen, hat and backpack
- Sweater, raincoat
- Water and snacks
- If you have any food restriction, please inform us at least 48h before the tour
- We suggest swimming at Maia beach because Viola beach can have stronger currents and for this reason it is better for people who don’t feel comfortable in the ocean.
Good to know
- Cancellations up to 48 hours before the tour, no penalties are applied
- Cancellations up to 24 hours: 50% of the total amount will be charged
- Cancellations less than 24 hours or no-show: full amount will be charged
- If the weather conditions do not allow the activity to be done safely, we will cancel it and contact you suggesting an alternative date or provide a full refund.
Booking confirmation policy
- You will receive a confirmation email within 24 hours of successful booking.
Reviews What people think about
John Smith, USA
Excellent English spoken and very knowledgeable guides. The company shows true passion for working with guests and imparting a good cultural experience.
Jorgen Johansen, Sweden
I enjoyed particularly the fact that we could visit São Miguel on the jeep tour and got a whole different idea from our last trip. Knowledgeable information is given by the guide about the island specially concerning Azorean history and traditions. Great service and wonderful friendly guides!
Unmissable, spectacular, repeating, and worth every euro!
Are there any pickup and drop off locations I can use?
Yes, please check the Departure and Return section presented on every tour.
Can I cancel my tour reservation and have a full refund?
Yes, you can check our detailed cancellation and refund policies per tour on each tour page, under “Good to Know” section
Can I take my camera with me during this activity?
Yes, but be aware that your material will be under your responsability.
How can I book this activity?
You can select any tour within our website and get your booking confirmation on your email immediately. Alternativelly, you can visit us on our shops or get in touch with us by phone, email or send us a message on social media (Instagram and Facebook)
I am pregnant but I would like to do this activity. Is it possible?
We don’t recommend this tour for pregnant women.
What if the weather isn’t ok?
If the weather doesn’t allow to do this activity safely, we will cancel it and suggest na alternative date.
What is the minimum number of participants?
Please check the minimum number of participant for each tour inside the program’s page.
Where is the hike located?
Fenais da Ajuda is located on the North coast, 40 minutes farther East from Ponta Delgada.
Can I swim in the natural swimming pools in Maia?
After the walk, you will have time for a dip before or after picnic lunch.
Top Sights Hiking Tour to Ribeira Funda – Full day
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Sign Up for Email Updates on News & Offers