- Stop to Sete Cidades village
- Visit to the surrounding volcanic region of Sete Cidades
- Certified guide
- Walking sticks
- Picnic lunch (sandwich, cake, fruit, water, juice)
- Regional afternoon snacks
- Pick up and drop off in Ponta Delgada (please check the Map)
- Insurance (personal accident and liability)
Azores Adventures – Futurismo
The hike of old traditions
Hiking ToursSao Miguel island Request Tour
The hike of old traditions
Hiking Tour Sete Cidades & Back to the RootsSao Miguel island
This is a tour to grope and absorb with all senses, such as the tasting session that we offer halfway and the interaction with local folks in their daily chores: milking a cow or cooking in a wood oven.
The geological phenomena that formed the Sete Cidades caldera simply arose in a miracle of excellence.
That is why from a same point in the path we can, simultaneously, look at the ocean and at the enigmatic, still waters of the lagoons; at once, we can contemplate the sea raising against the rocks and the delightful small villages ashore; at the same time, we can observe rows of houses with bread-scented smoke coming from their chimneys and the bicolored cows on the island, unbelievably balanced in sloped pastures.
Mouthwatering local food included
Each island in the Azores has its regional delicacies. Try the delicious Azorean cuisine and let yourself be carried away by traditions!
Not a regular hiking tour
This tour combines hiking with a unique experience in a farm, where you will do several activities.
Experience Azorean lifestyle
At Quinta das Raiadas, you will discover more about our old traditions and way of life.
Eden garden is in São Miguel
The pure nature you will see during this tour is really incredible.
Explore and experience
Discover wonderful landscapes and experience old traditions at a local farm.
With this tour, you will start by a beautiful hike around the wonderful region of Sete Cidades.
The nature there is absolutely stunning. But we won’t tell you more, you have to experience it by yourself in order to realize the beauty present in São Miguel island.
On the other part of the day, we will literally go back in time (ok, not literally, but it will really feel like it!).
You’ll learn and experience how Azoreans used to live before, making bread or biscuits, and milking a cow with your own hands.
Let the adventure begin
– After the check-in at our shop, or the pick-up in Ponta Delgada, let our adventure begin. Our guide will welcome you and lead you to one of our comfortable vehicles for a great experience.
Vista do Rei belvedere
– Once ready, we will drive for about 30 minutes until reaching Vista do Rei viewpoint. This is one of the most emblematic landscapes of São Miguel.
– The splendid panoramic view over one of the 7 Natural Wonders of Portugal is absolutely magical. A must-see while on holidays in the Azores.
– Its name comes from the visit of King Dom Carlos I and Queen Dona Amelia in 1901. They contemplated Sete Cidades from this very same spot.
– Next, we will start walking the dirt path along the rim of the caldera (Cumeeira Pequena).
– The views are wide open. On the right side, there is the caldera with the twin lakes of different colors. And to the left, the ocean and several coastal villages.
Lomba do Vasco
– We will pass by Lomba do Vasco’s viewpoint and eat a light meal. That is where you will have time to relax and be amazed by the magical surrounding scenery.
Sete Cidades village
– Inside the massive crater, on the southwest portion of it, lays a calm picturesque village of Sete Cidades. After lunch, we will go to there. It is common to see farmers using horses as transportation as in the “good old days”.
– Also, located at the end of a path flanked by pine trees, we will take the chance to visit the beautifil church São Nicolau, before we go back in time.
Quinta das Raiadas
– During the afternoon, we will take you to Quinta das Raiadas. There, you will learn so much about Azorean traditions and cultures.
– You will have the opportunity to bake fresh bread or biscuits, milk a cow, and taste regional products.
– This will be a fun day, perfect for anybody wanting to feel down to earth while connecting with nature and local traditions.
Way back home
– At the end of this experience, we will drop you back in Ponta Delgada.
Venture beyond the extraordinary. Unrivaled adventure
Largest tour operator in the Azores with 30 years of experience
At Futurismo, we think that educating and raising awareness among the young ones is very important for the future
We’re here to make your experience incredible. Reach us by phone, email, or WhatsApp
Apart from being a responsible tour operator, we also have a social commitment with many local organizations
Plan your Hiking Tour Sete Cidades & Back to the Roots
What to bring?
- Comfortable light clothes
- Sunscreen, hat and backpack
- Sweater, raincoat
- Water and snacks
- Cancellations until 72h in advance
- If you have any food restriction, please inform us at least 48h before the tour
Good to know
- Cancellations up to 48 hours before the tour, no penalties are applied
- Cancellations up to 24 hours: 50% of the total amount will be charged
- Cancellations less than 24 hours or no-show: full amount will be charged
- If the weather conditions do not allow the activity to be done safely, we will cancel it and contact you suggesting an alternative date or provide a full refund.
Booking confirmation policy
- You will receive a confirmation email within 24 hours of successful booking.
Reviews What people think about
We did a few tours with them and all their guides were sharp, friendly, and knowledgeable. They have many tours to offer.
I really love this company because they care and treat the dolphins with the utmost respect.
Unmissable, spectacular, repeating, and worth every euro!
Are there any pickup and drop off locations I can use?
Yes, please check the Departure and Return section presented on every tour.
Can I cancel my tour reservation and have a full refund?
Yes, you can check our detailed cancellation and refund policies per tour on each tour page, under “Good to Know” section
Can I take my camera with me during this activity?
Yes, but be aware that your material will be under your responsability.
How can I book this activity?
You can select any tour within our website and get your booking confirmation on your email immediately. Alternativelly, you can visit us on our shops or get in touch with us by phone, email or send us a message on social media (Instagram and Facebook)
I am pregnant but I would like to do this activity. Is it possible?
We don’t recommend this tour for pregnant women.
What if the weather isn’t ok?
If the weather doesn’t allow to do this activity safely, we will cancel it and suggest na alternative date.
What is the minimum number of participants?
Please check the minimum number of participant for each tour inside the program’s page.
Where is located Sete Cidades?
Sete Cidades is about 40 minutes away from Ponta Delgada. It is situated on the western part of São Miguel island.
What can I do in Sete Cidades?
In addition to enjoying the magical surrounding landscape, during the summertime, it is possible to
How to go to Sete Cidades?
It is better to rent a car and go by yourself. However, wecan offer a transferfrom and to Ponta Delgada. Also, there are some buses from Ponta Delgada. More information in the tourist office.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Sign Up for Email Updates on News & Offers