- Stop to Sete Cidades village
- Visit to the surrounding volcanic region of Sete Cidades
- Certified guide
- Walking sticks
- Picnic lunch (sandwich, cake, fruit, water, juice)
- Pick up and drop off in Ponta Delgada (please check the Map)
- Insurance (personal accident and liability)
Azores Adventures – Futurismo
Hike of the 1000 lakes | Serra Devassa
Hiking ToursSao Miguel island Book now
Hike of the 1000 lakes | Serra Devassa
Hiking Serra Devassa & Nascentes do CanárioSao Miguel island
A challenging but incredibly beautiful walking trail is our suggestion for this journey to the volcanic complex of Sete Cidades:
We give you lagoons, aqueducts, and waterfalls all inscribed under the definition of beauty, of serenity, and of the desire of secluding oneself from every day’s pressure.
In this less known path, the scenery surprises the walker with a succession of lagoons that reflect the vegetation and the sky, multiplying them as a magnificent natural game of smoke and mirrors.
It leads us to high summits from where seagulls and black hawks fly, floating in the atmosphere right before our eyes, sprinkling the sky and the ocean with movement.
Up and Down Volcanoes
This is a good trail to explore the most hidden natural secrets of São Miguel, inside Sete Cidades volcanic complex.
Lakes, lakes and lakes
During this tour, you will pass by so many lakes, and see almost all the lakes of the huge caldera.
Grota do Inferno is so popular, and it is for a reason! Wonderful pictures can be taken on top of the viewpoint.
This full-day adventure will allow you to discover the volcanic complex of Sete Cidades on a different path.
Immersion in nature
We will take you to discover the charms of the mountains, to smell the dense forests in a deep dive of spectacular moments.
This full-day adventure will allow you to discover the volcanic complex of Sete Cidades on a different path, but always including the most emblematic sites.
This hike is, by the way, challenging but the landscapes are incredible with hidden lakes, aqueducts and water springs, all surrounded by endemic vegetation. It will lead us to the highest point of Sete Cidades: Pico das Éguas.
Let the adventure begin
– After the check-in at our shop, or the pick-up in Ponta Delgada, let our adventure begin. Our guide will welcome you and lead you to one of our comfortable vehicles for a great experience.
Muro das Nove Janelas
– Once ready, we will hit the road on our way to Sete Cidades volcano.
– This circular trail starts at Muro das Nove Janelas, an aqueduct of historical value, rebuilt in 1830 in order to supply Ponta Delgada. Above its arches passed the water captured from the area of the Canário lake.
– Hiking through Serra Devassa, it will lead us to Lagoa do Caldeirão. We will also pass by Pico das Éguas and Lagoa das Éguas.
Lagoa do Caldeirão
– Hiking through Serra Devassa will lead us to a lake inside the volcanic complex of Sete Cidades.
– The lake is currently being used as a water reserve for agricultural use. Also, it is about 750m high from the sea level.
Pico das Éguas
– We will reach Pico das Éguas, the highest point in the west of the island of São Miguel (873m). On a clear day, you can have a beautiful view of the lakes around.
Lagoa das Éguas
-We will pass by Lagoa das Éguas. Typical forests of Macaronesia surround the lake. There are also plantations of cryptomerias around.
Lagoa do Canário
– Finally we will get to Lagoa do Canário. There will be time for a break to have our light meal.
– Get to know everything about the importance of water courses for the municipality of Ponta Delgada. You will also learn about the endemic vegetation that exists in this place.
Grota do Inferno viewpoint
– Have you already heard about Grota do Inferno viewpoint? It is one of the most famous places in São Miguel island. Simply because this dramatic and spectacular viewpoint offers incredible views over many lakes! Perfect for nature pictures.
Back to Serra Devassa
– We will continue along Canario springs to reach Serra Devassa back. Taking a different route, we will be able to see another lake, Lagoa Rasa.
– Lagoa Rasa is a small lake with a particular formation inside a volcanic crater. It is surrounded by a pleasant green area. We will also explore Lagoa das Empadadas area before going back to the starting point.
– Learning about the geomorphology of the island, this is the perfect way to discover Sete Cidades on a complete but least known path.
Way back home
– After some breathtaking views such as Vista do Rei viewpoint, we will take you back to Ponta Delgada.
Venture beyond the extraordinary. Unrivaled adventure
Largest tour operator in the Azores with 30 years of experience
At Futurismo, we think that educating and raising awareness among the young ones is very important for the future
We’re here to make your experience incredible. Reach us by phone, email, or WhatsApp
Apart from being a responsible tour operator, we also have a social commitment with many local organizations
Plan your Hiking Serra Devassa & Nascentes do Canário
What to bring?
- Comfortable light clothes
- Hiking boots or shoes
- Sunscreen, hat and backpack
- Sweater, raincoat
- Water and snacks
- Cancellations until 72h in advance
- If you have any food restriction, please inform us at least 48h before the tour
Good to know
- Cancellations up to 48 hours before the tour, no penalties are applied
- Cancellations up to 24 hours: 50% of the total amount will be charged
- Cancellations less than 24 hours or no-show: full amount will be charged
- If the weather conditions do not allow the activity to be done safely, we will cancel it and contact you suggesting an alternative date or provide a full refund.
Booking confirmation policy
- You will receive a confirmation email within 24 hours of successful booking.
Reviews What people think about
Unmissable, spectacular, repeating, and worth every euro!
I really love this company because they care and treat the dolphins with the utmost respect.
We did a few tours with them and all their guides were sharp, friendly, and knowledgeable. They have many tours to offer.
Are there any pickup and drop off locations I can use?
Yes, please check the Departure and Return section presented on every tour.
Can I cancel my tour reservation and have a full refund?
Yes, you can check our detailed cancellation and refund policies per tour on each tour page, under “Good to Know” section
Can I take my camera with me during this activity?
Yes, but be aware that your material will be under your responsability.
How can I book this activity?
You can select any tour within our website and get your booking confirmation on your email immediately. Alternativelly, you can visit us on our shops or get in touch with us by phone, email or send us a message on social media (Instagram and Facebook)
I am pregnant but I would like to do this activity. Is it possible?
We don’t recommend this tour for pregnant women.
What if the weather isn’t ok?
If the weather doesn’t allow to do this activity safely, we will cancel it and suggest na alternative date.
What is the minimum number of participants?
Please check the minimum number of participant for each tour inside the program’s page.
Where is located Sete Cidades?
Sete Cidades is about 40 minutes away from Ponta Delgada. It is situated on the western part of São Miguel island.
What can I do in Sete Cidades?
In addition to enjoying the magical surrounding landscape, during the summertime, it is possible to
How to go to Sete Cidades?
It is better to rent a car and go by yourself. However, wecan offer a transferfrom and to Ponta Delgada. Also, there are some buses from Ponta Delgada. More information in the tourist office.
Top Sights Hiking Serra Devassa & Nascentes do Canário
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Sign Up for Email Updates on News & Offers