- Certified guide
- Insurance (personal accident and liability)
Azores Adventures – Futurismo
Hike on the summit of a Giant Volcano
Hiking ToursFaial island Request Tour
Hike on the summit of a Giant Volcano
Hiking on the Rim of the Caldeira – Half dayFaial island
During the entire journey there will be grazing lands and sea at sight. As there will be an indigo-blue sky or a soft lead of clouds over the hills. There is the scent of wild bush and dampened wood; the Laurissilva forest with its birds, insects, and whispering leaves.
There is the vision of hydrangeas and of the quiet sea – the vision of the proximity of the islands that cuddle us; there is the Azorean breeze, different from any other – as it is a breeze that mumbles stories, colors, and feelings that awake us to the flow of life.
An impressive volcanic crater
If there are almost perfect conservation sites, Caldeira do Faial is one of them with incredible natural and endemic vegetation.
The immensity of Nature and the Smallness of Man
Also known as the “Silence of Cathedral”, Caldeira do Faial is the most beautiful place on the island!
Anyone who has done the trail around Caldeira do Faial has no doubt that it definitely deserves a visit.
When you see the size of the crater for the first time, and feel that you are treading volcanic soil, it is absolutely stunning! Imagine the path traveled between hydrangeas and the feeling of smallness in front of such natural beauty.
Caldeira do Faial is approximately 2km in diameter, 400 meters deep and its interior is full of Laurissilva Forest, which in 1972 earned the prestigious status of Natural Reserve.
It makes you want to book the trip now, right? What are you waiting for?
– After a ferry trip of about 30 minutes from Madalena, here we are in the city of Horta.
The Rim of the Caldeira
– We will drive up to the rim of the Caldeira, to the 2.5h walking trail circling the cauldron. Caldeira rises up to 1,043m (3,422ft). It was in 1972 the first nature reserve of the Azores due to the luxurious and well-preserved Laurissilva present there.
– We will wander through hedges of hydrangeas. On a beautiful day, it is possible to see the neighboring islands of São Jorge and Pico.
The way back
– After this beautiful hike, you can stay a little bit longer to discover the town of Horta on your own. Otherwise, you can take the ferry back to Pico right away.
Venture beyond the extraordinary. Unrivaled adventure
Largest tour operator in the Azores with 30 years of experience
At Futurismo, we think that educating and raising awareness among the young ones is very important for the future
We’re here to make your experience incredible. Reach us by phone, email, or WhatsApp
Apart from being a responsible tour operator, we also have a social commitment with many local organizations
Plan your Hiking on the Rim of the Caldeira – Half day
What to bring?
- Comfortable light clothes
- Hiking boots or shoes
- Sweater, raincoat
- Sunscreen, hat and backpack
- Water and snacks
- Boat tickets not included
- You can join this tour if you are already in Faial
- Children ideally above 6 years old
Good to know
- Cancellations up to 48 hours before the tour, no penalties are applied
- Cancellations up to 24 hours: 50% of the total amount will be charged
- Cancellations less than 24 hours or no-show: full amount will be charged
- If the weather conditions do not allow the activity to be done safely, we will cancel it and contact you suggesting an alternative date or provide a full refund.
Booking confirmation policy
- You will receive a confirmation email within 24 hours of successful booking.
Reviews What people think about
Jorgen Johansen, Sweden
I enjoyed particularly the fact that we could visit São Miguel on the jeep tour and got a whole different idea from our last trip. Knowledgeable information is given by the guide about the island specially concerning Azorean history and traditions. Great service and wonderful friendly guides!
John Smith, USA
Excellent English spoken and very knowledgeable guides. The company shows true passion for working with guests and imparting a good cultural experience.
Andrea Sievers, Germany
It’s impressive that we haven’t found anybody during our walking tour. It was amazing the communion with nature. It feels that nature is still untouched.
Are there any pickup and drop off locations I can use?
Yes, please check the Departure and Return section presented on every tour.
Can I cancel my tour reservation and have a full refund?
Yes, you can check our detailed cancellation and refund policies per tour on each tour page, under “Good to Know” section
Can I take my camera with me during this activity?
Yes, but be aware that your material will be under your responsability.
How can I book this activity?
You can select any tour within our website and get your booking confirmation on your email immediately. Alternativelly, you can visit us on our shops or get in touch with us by phone, email or send us a message on social media (Instagram and Facebook)
I am pregnant but I would like to do this activity. Is it possible?
We don’t recommend this tour for pregnant women.
What if the weather isn’t ok?
If the weather doesn’t allow to do this activity safely, we will cancel it and suggest na alternative date.
What is the minimum number of participants?
Please check the minimum number of participant for each tour inside the program’s page.
Top Sights Hiking on the Rim of the Caldeira – Half day
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Sign Up for Email Updates on News & Offers