- Certified guide
- Insurance (personal accident and liability)
- Light meal
- Museum entrance in Lajes do Pico
Whalers Heritage in a Hike
Hiking ToursPico island
Whalers Heritage in a Hike
Hiking in Calheta de Nesquim – Full dayPico island
Calheta do Nesquim was the temple to which the great Azorean writer Dias de Melo dedicated the deepest affection during his life.
This place of thoughts, truth, and beauty, suitable for poets and artists, will be your stage for a private meeting with yourself. With the mountain watching over your steps, as a natural, magnificent Hercules, surrender yourself to this impressive, indescribable land; a land outside the world and nested in the farthest part of the island where a small rural community keeps its authenticity, as a rival witness of time.
A trail that will lead you to everything that is genuine: old paths, natural swimming pools, yards, and small forests.
Off the beaten track
Let’s see how it is to live in a remote and traditional settlement in the middle of the Atlantic.
Home of the whale hunting
We will take you where whaling first began, back in 1876.
Our guide will take you to a very important place for the Azores, yet far away from the most touristic attractions.
Why is this place so significant? Because it is where our whaling times began. This was a huge source of wealth and helped the economy of the Azores.
Even if today it is fortunately over and we prefer watching those beautiful animals in their natural habitat, there are still lots of evidences of this period.
Let’s explore them together.
– First of all we will welcome you for the check in or pick you up in Madalena. On this hike, we will wander along the northern part of the trail.
Calheta de Nesquim
– During this circular trail, we will discover how life on a small island in the Atlantic is and how it used to be.
– We will pass by other places that can be associated with the whaling period. For example, a traditional whale lookout, nowadays used for whale and dolphin watching experiences.
– We will also have the opportunity to see one of the tripods, used to melt the whale’s blubber.
– The trail leads us along with natural pools, ancient paths, houses and gardens, forests, fields, and adegas.
– We will return to Madalena along the south coast, with a stop at Lajes do Pico. Here we end our tour with a visit to the famous Whaling Museum.
– We will return to Madalena along the south coast, stopping at Lajes do Pico. Here we end our tour with a visit to the famous Whaling Museum.
Venture beyond the extraordinary. Unrivaled adventure
Largest tour operator in the Azores with 30 years of experience
At Futurismo, we think that educating and raising awareness among the young ones is very important for the future
We’re here to make your experience incredible. Reach us by phone, email, or WhatsApp
Apart from being a responsible tour operator, we also have a social commitment with many local organizations
Plan your Hiking in Calheta de Nesquim – Full day
What to bring?
- Sunscreen, hat and backpack
- Comfortable light clothes
- Sweater, raincoat
- Hiking boots or shoes
- Water and snacks
- You can book for fewer people. If the minimum is not met on that daym tou can reschedule, assume the full value of the experience (3 people) or cancel at least 48 hours beforehand
- Cancellations up to 48 hours before the tour, no penalties are applied
- Cancellations up to 24 hours: 50% of the total amount will be charged
- Cancellations less than 24 hours or no-show: full amount will be charged
- If the weather conditions do not allow the activity to be done safely, we will cancel it and contact you suggesting an alternative date or provide a full refund.
Booking confirmation policy
- You will receive a confirmation email within 24 hours of successful booking.
Reviews What people think about
I really love this company because they care and treat the dolphins with the utmost respect.
We did a few tours with them and all their guides were sharp, friendly, and knowledgeable. They have many tours to offer.
This is the second time we have done this package as we were bringing friends and we knew that there would not be any “surprises”. Guides always present differently, so the tours for us were just like going on them for the first time.
A big shout out to Triin, Rodrigo (Rod), and Raoul. I would not hesitate to do future tours with this company.
Are there any pickup and drop off locations I can use?
Yes, please check the Departure and Return section presented on every tour.
Can I cancel my tour reservation and have a full refund?
Yes, you can check our detailed cancellation and refund policies per tour on each tour page, under “Good to Know” section
Can I take my camera with me during this activity?
Yes, but be aware that your material will be under your responsability.
How can I book this activity?
You can select any tour within our website and get your booking confirmation on your email immediately. Alternativelly, you can visit us on our shops or get in touch with us by phone, email or send us a message on social media (Instagram and Facebook)
I am pregnant but I would like to do this activity. Is it possible?
We don’t recommend this tour for pregnant women.
What if the weather isn’t ok?
If the weather doesn’t allow to do this activity safely, we will cancel it and suggest na alternative date.
What is the minimum number of participants?
Please check the minimum number of participant for each tour inside the program’s page.
Top Sights Hiking in Calheta de Nesquim – Full day
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Sign Up for Email Updates on News & Offers