- Certified guide
- Picnic lunch (sandwich, cake, fruit, water, juice)
- Insurance (personal accident and liability)
A hike in Pico's wonderland
Hiking ToursPico island
A hike in Pico's wonderland
Hiking Caminho dos Burros – Full dayPico island
Walking trails are imprinted in the back of this land as veins in a body; they challenge us for hours of desirable leisure, promising the unveiling of mysteries and beauty.
We invite you to peek from the top of the wild coast, to surprise yourself with extensive lava fields, to sink your sight in the luxurious vegetation.
Come and range the grazing areas where the cattle indulge themselves under a peaceful sky and reach the geological formations and authentic mysteries.
On this experience you will also have the possibility to enjoy a picnic lunch in the beautiful Pico island.
Landscapes diversity on the menu
Discover geological formations, wine cellars, lush vegetation and beautiful views over the North coast.
Walk in an endemic vegetation’s paradise
Observe unique flora that you cannot see aound the world.
Years of hiking
Hiking routes are accompanied by the knowledge and experience of our guides.
Caminho dos Burros used to be the donkey trail to connect the north shore to the south shore.
Now, this beautiful path allows us to pass by a big variety of landscapes, unique to the Azores.
Discover Pico on foot with our guide and learn more about the island.
– First of all we will welcome you for the check in or pick you up in Madalena. On this hike, we will wander along the northern part of the trail.
Caminho das Lagoas
– Our hiking tour starts next to Caminho das Lagoas in the central highlands at about 830 meters of altitude. It will go down towards the North Coast.
Along the way
– The landscapes we will explore throughout the trail are the consequence of lava flows from the historical eruption of 1562-64. In fact, this was the longest eruption in the Azores history after the settlement.
– Passing by ancient volcanic cones, pastures and forests, we will learn about local flora and fauna.
Pic-nic in Prainha forest park
– Once we arrive at Prainha forest park, we will stop to have a picnic lunch.
Baía das Canas
– Then, we will go down the last part through dense vegetation and abandoned vineyards to Baía das Canas.
– There, if the weather and ocean conditions allow, we will have the opportunity to go for a swim in the clear blue ocean to end this day in a cool way.
Venture beyond the extraordinary. Unrivaled adventure
Largest tour operator in the Azores with 30 years of experience
At Futurismo, we think that educating and raising awareness among the young ones is very important for the future
We’re here to make your experience incredible. Reach us by phone, email, or WhatsApp
Apart from being a responsible tour operator, we also have a social commitment with many local organizations
Plan your Hiking Caminho dos Burros – Full day
What to bring?
- Sunscreen, hat and backpack
- Comfortable light clothes
- Hiking boots or shoes
- Sweater, raincoat
- Water and snacks
- Swimsuit & towel
- If you have any food restriction, please inform us at least 48h before the tour
- Please book the private tour option if you are travelling with children under 8 years old
- Cancellations up to 48 hours before the tour, no penalties are applied
- Cancellations up to 24 hours: 50% of the total amount will be charged
- Cancellations less than 24 hours or no-show: full amount will be charged
- If the weather conditions do not allow the activity to be done safely, we will cancel it and contact you suggesting an alternative date or provide a full refund.
Booking confirmation policy
- You will receive a confirmation email within 24 hours of successful booking.
Reviews What people think about
John Smith, USA
Excellent English spoken and very knowledgeable guides. The company shows true passion for working with guests and imparting a good cultural experience.
Wow fabulous is the only way to describe this trip – Our guide Gena was very informative and not afraid to try different things
This is the second time we have done this package as we were bringing friends and we knew that there would not be any “surprises”. Guides always present differently, so the tours for us were just like going on them for the first time.
A big shout out to Triin, Rodrigo (Rod), and Raoul. I would not hesitate to do future tours with this company.
Are there any pickup and drop off locations I can use?
Yes, please check the Departure and Return section presented on every tour.
Can I cancel my tour reservation and have a full refund?
Yes, you can check our detailed cancellation and refund policies per tour on each tour page, under “Good to Know” section
Can I take my camera with me during this activity?
Yes, but be aware that your material will be under your responsability.
How can I book this activity?
You can select any tour within our website and get your booking confirmation on your email immediately. Alternativelly, you can visit us on our shops or get in touch with us by phone, email or send us a message on social media (Instagram and Facebook)
I am pregnant but I would like to do this activity. Is it possible?
We don’t recommend this tour for pregnant women.
What if the weather isn’t ok?
If the weather doesn’t allow to do this activity safely, we will cancel it and suggest na alternative date.
What is the minimum number of participants?
Please check the minimum number of participant for each tour inside the program’s page.
Top Sights Hiking Caminho dos Burros – Full day
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Sign Up for Email Updates on News & Offers