- Certified guide
- Pick up and drop off in Ponta Delgada (please check the Map)
- Insurance (personal accident and liability)
Azores Adventures – Futurismo
Lava Caving | Carvao Cave & Volcano Observatory
GeotourismSao Miguel island Request Tour
Lava Caving | Carvao Cave & Volcano Observatory
GeoTourism – Carvão Cave & Volcano ObservatorySao Miguel island
A survivor of a gigantic lava tube that once solidified from the rivers of fire that nurtured the interior of the developing island, this grotto takes us to the depths of the earth and unveils before our eyes the evidences of this process.
The information is completed at the Volcanological and Geothermal Energy Interpretative Center; what heats the earth as the blood heats our hearts.
From the depths of the Atlantic Ocean
The formation of the 9 islands of the archipelago extends in the Atlantic for 650 km from the island of Corvo to the island of Santa Maria. You will know everything about how these volcanic islands were formed.
Inside a lava tube
Walk into the lava tunnel of Gruta do Carvão and be surrounded by lava.
All about volcanoes
At the observatory, there is much to learn about the volcanic origins of the Azores, as well as the volcanic activity now.
It is a great educational experience to visit Gruta do Carvão with a variety of geological formations resulting from the volcanic activity on the island of São Miguel.
This experience is all about volcanoes. For our geology lovers, you will be certainly satisfied by all the information you will get during this full day.
You will enter a real lava cave that is right under Ponta Delgada, where a certified guide will show you the wonders of geology.
Then, we will have some theory at the Observatory.
The Azores were created thanks to the volcanic activity and you will soon know everything about it.
Gruta do Carvão
– After the check-in or pick-up in Ponta Delgada, let’s visit Gruta do Carvão. It is located on the northwest side of Ponta Delgada. This lava tunnel currently extends about 2,000 meters underground.
– According to old documents and field observations, this lava tube may have originally reached a length of 5km.
São Roque Islet
– After visiting the cave, we will continue our tour through the south coast stopping at São Roque Islet, also called “Rosto de Cão” (Dog’s Face).
Geothermal Observatory of the Azores
– Then we will head towards Lagoa to visit the Monitoring Centre for Volcanology and Geothermal Energy of the Azores (OVGA). This is a science centre about volcanology, seismology and geothermal energy.
– There, you will learn more about the formation of the islands and the volcanic phenomena of the Azores archipelago.
Way back home
– At the end of this experience, we will drop you back in Ponta Delgada.
Largest tour operator in the Azores with 30 years of experience
At Futurismo, we think that educating and raising awareness among the young ones is very important for the future
We’re here to make your experience incredible. Reach us by phone, email, or WhatsApp
Apart from being a responsible tour operator, we also have a social commitment with many local organizations
Plan your GeoTourism – Carvão Cave & Volcano Observatory
What to bring?
- Comfortable clothes and shoes
- Sweater, raincoat
- Sunscreen, hat and backpack
- Water and snacks
- You can book for fewer people. If the minimum is not met on that daym tou can reschedule, assume the full value of the experience (4 people) or cancel at least 48 hours beforehand
Good to know
- Cancellations up to 48 hours before the tour, no penalties are applied
- Cancellations up to 24 hours: 50% of the total amount will be charged
- Cancellations less than 24 hours or no-show: full amount will be charged
- If the weather conditions do not allow the activity to be done safely, we will cancel it and contact you suggesting an alternative date or provide a full refund.
Booking confirmation policy
- You will receive a confirmation email within 24 hours of successful booking.
Reviews What people think about
We did a few tours with them and all their guides were sharp, friendly, and knowledgeable. They have many tours to offer.
John Smith, USA
Excellent English spoken and very knowledgeable guides. The company shows true passion for working with guests and imparting a good cultural experience.
Unmissable, spectacular, repeating, and worth every euro!
Are there any pickup and drop off locations I can use?
Yes, please check the Departure and Return section presented on every tour.
Can I cancel my tour reservation and have a full refund?
Yes, you can check our detailed cancellation and refund policies per tour on each tour page, under “Good to Know” section
Can I take my camera with me during this activity?
Yes, but be aware that your material will be under your responsability.
How can I book this activity?
You can select any tour within our website and get your booking confirmation on your email immediately. Alternativelly, you can visit us on our shops or get in touch with us by phone, email or send us a message on social media (Instagram and Facebook)
How long is a Geotourism tour?
Please check each tour duration info.
I am pregnant but I would like to do this activity. Is it possible?
We recommend that you consult your physician first because of the thermal baths in some tours.
Is this an adventure kind of tour?
It is a great adventure, but not physically demanding.
What if the weather isn’t ok?
If the weather doesn’t allow to do this activity safely, we will cancel it and suggest na alternative date.
What is the best weather to do Geotourism in Azores?
Some rain can be nice to be at the perfect temperature at the thermal baths.
What is the minimum number of participants?
Please check the minimum number of participant for each tour inside the program’s page.
Top Sights GeoTourism – Carvão Cave & Volcano Observatory
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Sign Up for Email Updates on News & Offers