- Certified guide
- Access fee to the nature reserve
- Insurance (personal accident and liability)
Discover a volcano from the inside
Hiking ToursFaial island Request Tour
Discover a volcano from the inside
Descent to the Caldeira in Faial – Half dayFaial island
Advancing, in Caldeirão, until the edge of an immense mouth opened in nature will take us to the fragility of the human life that we share; and, at the same time, will move us as we belong to this same world, involved by its beautiful endemic flora.
As it will move us to wander through the lunar surface of Capelinhos, dragging our feet over layers of ashes, and imagining a process of devastation that, in these islands, ended up creating so much fertility and life…after that, you just have to celebrate it, tasting the local specialties.
In the audacity of a gradual descent of a thousand meters, we take part in everything – from the vertiginous top to the heart of the dormant volcano. The tour involves us in endemic vegetation; convinces us of the time ellipses and of the primary role of our race in this world.
In the most perfect silence, we will hear the whisper of the water in the cascade and the twitting of the birds; we will, again, be the first human: fearful, watchful, amazed.
A sanctuary of natural flora
Caldeira do Faial is a Nature Reserve thanks to rare populations of flora endemic to the Azores.
Cathedral of Silence
Take the time to listen to the nature around you and enjoy different biotopes covered by dense and colorful vegetation.
Get ready to step on damp habitats, there is often mud inside the caldera.
Caldeira do Faial is one of the landmarks of this island.
Have you ever thought of coming to Faial or the Triangle Islands and missing the opportunity to see and feel this sanctuary of natural flora?
It is a narrow path of steep land, so if you like challenges in the middle of nature, come and explore with us accompanied by a certified guide of this Natural Park, just so you can enter this adventure!
We will descend to the bottom of the crater, at a depth of 400 m, and there we will find a “secret waterfall“.
Caldeira do Faial is a geological monument, an impressive landmark in the landscape with 2 km in diameter and a huge green hole below.
– After a ferry trip of about 30 minutes from Madalena, here we are in the city of Horta.
Rim of the Caldeira
– We will have a short briefing before entering the giant crater of 2km in diameter. Caldeira is a Nature Reserve, the perfect place for nature lovers.
– The descent starts from an altitude of 1,000m to one of the most stunning and major volcanic “cauldrons” of the Azores. The nature reserve is full of endemic vegetation in an almost perfect state of conservation.
– The trail is a steep and narrow dirt track passing by different biotopes covered with dense vegetation. We will reach the bottom of the crater 400m deeper, surrounded by gigantic, almost vertical green-covered walls.
– There, we will encounter perfect silence and a hidden waterfall. The descent takes an average of 1.5h and the ascent on the same trail about 1h.
Back to Horta and Madalena
– After the hike, it is time to go back to Horta. We will take the ferry to Madalena or you can enjoy the town on your own.
Venture beyond the extraordinary. Unrivaled adventure
Largest tour operator in the Azores with 30 years of experience
At Futurismo, we think that educating and raising awareness among the young ones is very important for the future
We’re here to make your experience incredible. Reach us by phone, email, or WhatsApp
Apart from being a responsible tour operator, we also have a social commitment with many local organizations
Plan your Descent to the Caldeira in Faial – Half day
What to bring?
- Comfortable light clothes
- Hiking boots or shoes
- Sweater, raincoat
- Sunscreen, hat and backpack
- 1,5L of water, snacks
- Boat tickets not included
- You can join this tour if you are already in Faial
- Please note that the descent in steep and can be a bit tricky for people with physical restrictions
- Please let us know about any health problem you might have
- Be prepared for changing weather conditions, take adequate clothes and/or spare clothes and shoes (most likely it will be muddy in the inner of the Caldeira)
- On request, children younger than 12 years can join the private tour
- Cancellations up to 48 hours before the tour, no penalties are applied
- Cancellations up to 24 hours: 50% of the total amount will be charged
- Cancellations less than 24 hours or no-show: full amount will be charged
- If the weather conditions do not allow the activity to be done safely, we will cancel it and contact you suggesting an alternative date or provide a full refund.
Booking confirmation policy
- You will receive a confirmation email within 24 hours of successful booking.
Reviews What people think about
This is the second time we have done this package as we were bringing friends and we knew that there would not be any “surprises”. Guides always present differently, so the tours for us were just like going on them for the first time.
A big shout out to Triin, Rodrigo (Rod), and Raoul. I would not hesitate to do future tours with this company.
Unmissable, spectacular, repeating, and worth every euro!
I really love this company because they care and treat the dolphins with the utmost respect.
Are there any pickup and drop off locations I can use?
Yes, please check the Departure and Return section presented on every tour.
Can I cancel my tour reservation and have a full refund?
Yes, you can check our detailed cancellation and refund policies per tour on each tour page, under “Good to Know” section
Can I take my camera with me during this activity?
Yes, but be aware that your material will be under your responsability.
How can I book this activity?
You can select any tour within our website and get your booking confirmation on your email immediately. Alternativelly, you can visit us on our shops or get in touch with us by phone, email or send us a message on social media (Instagram and Facebook)
I am pregnant but I would like to do this activity. Is it possible?
We don’t recommend this tour for pregnant women.
What if the weather isn’t ok?
If the weather doesn’t allow to do this activity safely, we will cancel it and suggest na alternative date.
What is the minimum number of participants?
Please check the minimum number of participant for each tour inside the program’s page.