- Certified guide
- Lunch in a local restaurant
- Pick up and drop off in Ponta Delgada (please check the Map)
- Insurance (personal accident and liability)
Azores Adventures – Futurismo
Look up for the birds!
Bird WatchingSao Miguel island Request Tour
Look up for the birds!
Bird Watching Tour in Sao Miguel IslandSao Miguel island
The archipelago of the Azores is a protective oasis that receives birds and their nests in numbers that exceed the 400 species.
It is not only an indulge for endemic species, but also the greatest secret to rescue some species facing extinction.
Throughout the year, flocks coming from America and Europe turn this oceanic landing spot into their pleasant resting platform, and their tweets become the natural orchestra of the islands.
The extraordinary diversity of the islands is capable of providing, to each species, a different natural habitat:
The margins of the lagoons, the height of the mountains, and the thick vegetation, as well as the recesses in the cliffs are a paradise to any ornithologist, and a delight to the common lover.
All of these wings streak the sky; the shadow of their wingspans pass by the landscape, and the flights of the most delicate ones fill each scenario with movement.
Worldwide bird watching lovers
The Azores are a special destination for several species of migratory birds from America and Eurasia. About 400 species can be found here.
Rare birds in the Azores
There is only one nesting location in the world for the priolo (Pyrrhula murina). The island of São Miguel is the only place where you can find this species.
Endemic subspecies cross the Azorean sky
Did you know that the kite (Buteo buteo rothschildi) was the bird that gave the origin of the archipelago’s name?
Destination of choice for Cory’s shearwater
85% of the world’s population of shearwaters (Calonectris borealis) chooses the Azores. These seabirds travel to the archipelago to mate and nest
Animals lovers, this is for you
If you just love birds, go on this tour to watch several species and learn more about them.
Visit the island at the same time
We will take you to different bird watching spots around the island so that we can see different species and different places.
Birds are wonderful creatures. They are of all size and colors. Trying to find them is an exciting experience. Don’t worry, there is 100% chance we will find something!
The Azores are a great home or point of passage for hundreds of birds from the world.
We also have some species that can only be seen here in São Miguel island! So, watch out!
Looking for birds
– This tour starts with the check in or pick up in Ponta Delgada. We will then drive to our first bird watching location.
– We will visit places like Nordeste, Furnas, Vila Franca do Campo and Caloura.
Many birds to see
– During the tour, you will discover some of the 33 species of birds nesting in the Azores.
– Bird watching in São Miguel means the chance to spot one of the rarest birds in Europe. It is the Azores bullfinch (Pyrrhula murina). It was disappearing, but an amazing conservation work saved it from extinction.
– You can see many different endemic subspecies around the island, such as the Saffron finch (Serinus canaria) only in Macaronesia. We also have sub-endemic species such as the Common Chaffinch of the Azores (Fringilla coelebs moreletti). Also, the Goldcrest (Regulus regulus azorica), the Azores Wood Pigeon (Columba palumbus azorica) and the Kite (Buteo buteo rothschildi), among others.
Diversity of habitats
– São Miguel has different habitats for different birds. From forests for passerines, coastal areas for waders, lakes for water birds and seabirds.
– Throughout the year, resident birds coexist with regular migratory birds and also some rare species who choose this island to land.
– At the end of the day, we will return to Ponta Delgada with, hopefully, lots of pictures.
Largest tour operator in the Azores with 30 years of experience
At Futurismo, we think that educating and raising awareness among the young ones is very important for the future
We’re here to make your experience incredible. Reach us by phone, email, or WhatsApp
Apart from being a responsible tour operator, we also have a social commitment with many local organizations
Plan your Bird Watching Tour in Sao Miguel Island
What to bring?
- Comfortable clothes and shoes
- Sweater, raincoat
- Sunscreen, hat and backpack
- Water and snacks
Good to know
- Cancellations up to 48 hours before the tour, no penalties are applied
- Cancellations up to 24 hours: 50% of the total amount will be charged
- Cancellations less than 24 hours or no-show: full amount will be charged
- If the weather conditions do not allow the activity to be done safely, we will cancel it and contact you suggesting an alternative date or provide a full refund.
Booking confirmation policy
- You will receive a confirmation email within 24 hours of successful booking.
Reviews What people think about
Unmissable, spectacular, repeating, and worth every euro!
Wow fabulous is the only way to describe this trip – Our guide Gena was very informative and not afraid to try different things
We spent six full days in São Miguel. The itineraries (including dolphin watching) are very complete. The guide who accompanied us for 5 days (Patxi) very professional and friendly. We recommend 100%!
John Smith, USA
Excellent English spoken and very knowledgeable guides. The company shows true passion for working with guests and imparting a good cultural experience.
Are there any pickup and drop off locations I can use?
Yes, please check the Departure and Return section presented on every tour.
Can I cancel my tour reservation and have a full refund?
Yes, you can check our detailed cancellation and refund policies per tour on each tour page, under “Good to Know” section
Can I take my camera with me during this activity?
Yes, but be aware that your material will be under your responsability.
How can I book this activity?
You can select any tour within our website and get your booking confirmation on your email immediately. Alternativelly, you can visit us on our shops or get in touch with us by phone, email or send us a message on social media (Instagram and Facebook)
Is this an adventure kind of tour?
It is a great adventure, but not physically demanding.
What if the weather isn’t ok?
If the weather doesn’t allow to do this activity safely, we will cancel it and suggest na alternative date.
What is the minimum number of participants?
Please check the minimum number of participant for each tour inside the program’s page.
Top Sights Bird Watching Tour in Sao Miguel Island
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Sign Up for Email Updates on News & Offers