- Pre-tour briefing
- Boat Tour about 4h
- Raincoat and pants (if necessary)
- Life jacket
- Marine biologist guides
- Light meal
- Regional tea after the boat trip
- Insurance (personal accident and liability)
Be a Marine Biologist for a Day
Whale WatchingSao Miguel island
Be a Marine Biologist for a Day
Be a Marine Biologist for a daySao Miguel island
Share with Darwin, Pasteur, and other known scientists the mysteries of the revelation of life and of nature.
A day entirely dedicated to research, learning, and practical experiences in which you will be the star!
Under the guidance of our biologists, you will live the day-to-day of a marine biologist, in a universe inhabited by over 3000 cetaceans and 500 blue whales.
Thanks to identification techniques and acoustic apparels that capture sounds that are unheard by humans, be a direct correspondent of the animal behavior and of its integration within the communities.
World-class Whale Watching operator
Futurismo is Internationally Certified by WCA as a Responsible Whale Watching and is globally renown by defining the standards for this activity.
Scientific investigation protocols explained
You will learn so much about the Azorean wildlife. Whales and dolphins won’t have any more secrets for you.
A Marine wildlife oasis
Raised from the deepest waters of the Atlantic Ocean, Azores is the harbor for big families of Sperm Whales and three dolphin species!
Experience face-to-face encounters with astonishing creatures from the deepest waters of the Atlantic Ocean.
Face-to-face encounters with astonishing creatures
Big blue whales, jumping bottlenose dolphins or breaching humpback whales, each day is a surprise with us, and nature is very generous here!
This is an exclusive tour where you will deepen your knowledge about cetaceans. In addition to see whales and dolphins in their natural habitat, you will collect data and help international research to study, preserve and protect those animals.
You will spend some time on the boat, but also in the biologists office to analyze the pictures you took and other possible samples and data you might have collected. This is a unique experience, a day like no other.
Harbor of Ponta Delgada
– This great adventure starts at the Marina of Ponta Delgada, in our shop. Our staff will welcome you for the check-in.
– In this fantastic experience you will enjoy a scientific whale and dolphin watching trip, but not only! Out in the ocean, observe nature at its purest. You will be able to register some of the species you will see during the boat trip thanks to photo-identification.
– Help our marine biologists to collect microplastics with a plankton network, allowing us to filter a certain volume of water and then quantify the microplastics present in it.
– You can also record acoustic data thanks to our directional hydrophone. It will allow us to hear and record sounds emitted by cetaceans audible to the human ear.
– When possible, we will collect and analyze biological samples as we often observe cetacean skin and stool during our trips.
In the office
– Once back on land, you will be invited to our biologists office. All the data that you collected out in the ocean will be incorporated into the database. We will analyze what we brought back from the trip.
– During this tour, you will learn a lot about the cetaceans of the Azores! You will live a full day with our experienced marine biologists team.
1st Whale Watching Company in São Miguel (1990) and largest tour operator in the Azores.
We are certified by the World Cetacean Alliance (WCA), the world’s largest marine conservation organization
All our sea tours are operated by experienced Marine Biologists who also participate in scientific investigations
Comfortable catamaran or fierce zodiac boats, you choose the kind of experience you want.
You’ll receive a full refund if you cancel at least 48 hours in advance
Our guides speak several languages, including English, Spanish, French and German.
Plan your Be a Marine Biologist for a day
What to bring?
- Comfortable clothes and shoes
- Warm sweater or jacket
- Sunscreen, hat and backpack
- Water and snacks (we do not sell food aboard)
- Babies: 0-5 years old – free of charge | Children: 6-12 years old 50% discount
- Light meal: sandwich, cupcake or cereal bar, fruit, water and juice
- Vegetarians: vegetarian meals on request within a maximum of 48 hours before the tour
- This tour is available for children above 8 years old for safety reasons
- If you have any food restriction, please inform us at least 48h before the tour
- We don’t recommend this tour for people with back problems or pregnant women
- Cancellations up to 48 hours before the tour, no penalties are applied
- Cancellations up to 24 hours: 50% of the total amount will be charged
- Cancellations less than 24 hours or no-show: full amount will be charged
- If the weather conditions do not allow the activity to be done safely, we will cancel it and contact you suggesting an alternative date or provide a full refund.
Booking confirmation policy
- You will receive a confirmation email within 24 hours of successful booking.
Reviews What people think about
The trip that in principle was announcing between 2 1/2 and 3 hours was until 4 hours due to the way in which the enlistments were happening.
I completely recommend this company. They were efficient, kind, and helpful. All our guides were amazingly gracious and interesting. Their understanding of the marine world was humbling and we learned so much. Brilliant, my daughter and I had the best time. Thank you.
Martin Merimen, UK
It was our first time with the whales. Very enjoyable trip! Staff was very helpful and kindly answered all our questions. Thanks for the wonderful experience!
This is an absolute must-do if you visit the island. Actually, even if you have whale watched before or on other destinations, don’t give this a pass. On our trip, we saw humpback whales jumping around. It was an impressive experience!
Great staff, extremely educational.
I highly recommend the Futurismo tour. Great experience, very professional staff, knowing every detail about the whales, so you can learn a lot. The first day the trip was canceled due to the weather, but we left the next day and saw 3 whales and lots of dolphins. An unforgettable experience!
Are the Azores a good whale watching destination?
The Azores are a great whale watching destination, probably one of the best in the whole world. We have sperm whales all year round. Being in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, lots of cetacean species pass by our islands during their annual migration.
Can I cancel my tour reservation and have a full refund?
Yes, you can check our detailed cancellation and refund policies per tour on each tour page, under “Good to Know” section
Can I touch the whales and dolphins?
No, our strict whale and dolphin watching rules forbid to touch the animals. They are wild and we should respect them.
Can I use my drone during this tour?
You cannot use a drone on our tours with other travelers. However, if you really want to fly your drone, it is possible on a private tour with us.
Do you have toilets on the boat?
On the catamarans and the bigger zodiac boats, there is a toilet facility. However on the small zodiac boats there is no toilets.
Do you sell medication for seasickness?
No, we do not sell anything on the boat. If you know that you get easily seasick, it is better to purchase the adequate medication before the tour.
How can I book this activity?
You can select any tour within our website and get your booking confirmation on your email immediately. Alternativelly, you can visit us on our shops or get in touch with us by phone, email or send us a message on social media (Instagram and Facebook)
How many whales and dolphins can I see?
It depends, each day on the ocean is a surprise. Sometimes we can see one whale only, and other times we will see several species with pods of dolphins including thousands of individuals. We work with nature, the animals are not under our control.
What if the weather isn’t ok?
If the weather doesn’t allow to do this activity safely, we will cancel it and suggest na alternative date.
What is the minimum number of participants?
Please check the minimum number of participant for each tour inside the program’s page.
I have lower back problems but I would like to go on a whale and dolphin watching trip. Can I go on a tour?
We have a catamaran that is more comfortable and stable than the zodiac and fiberglass boats, but before you come you should consult your physician.
Can my children join this tour?
Yes, we have small bikes for children as well as trail gator to pull your children. Futurismo also provides baby bike seats. Please contact us if you want to do this tour with a child so we can organize everything.
I am pregnant but I would like to do whale watching. Is it possible?
In this situation, we advise to go on a tour aboard the catamarans. These boats are more comfortable and stable.
What animals can we see during this tour?
According to the season, you will be able to see dolphins and whales. All year round it is possible to see sperm whales, and 3 different species of dolphins, who are resident species living in the Azores.If you want to know more about
What if I am seasick?
We advise to avoid eating anything overly spicy, acidic, fatty or dairy before the boat trip. Don’t overeat but come well fed. Once on the boat, look at the horizon and get fresh air. If you feel bad, the staff on the boat will help you.
Top Sights Be a Marine Biologist for a day
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Sign Up for Email Updates on News & Offers
Earlybird Discount :
Enjoy a 10% discount if booking with 30 days in advance by using the Promo code EARLYBIRD on the checkout of your Whale Watching tour
Mix & Save :
Enjoy a 10% Discount on your Second Tour operated by Futurismo and 15% on the next ones🎉 Contact us via chat (working days only) or the +351 296 628 522