- Certified guide
- Insurance (personal accident and liability)
- Wine tasting in the local wine cooperative
The culture of Pico wine
Van ToursPico island Book now
The culture of Pico wine
Van Tour – Pico Wine CulturePico island
This is a story that started in the 15th century, with the early settlement, and continued through these successive rows of basaltic stone that cut the scenery, erected as pieces in an enchanting game.
Touring the south coast you will be able to reconstitute the adventure of the wine from the islands, once served at the Czars’ table. The narrative of how the culture adapted to the land and sought to shape nature, from the sea to the hills, is written in the bare soil of the island.
And the endemic vegetation and the surrounding sea frame it, adding details of original art.
How the life of Pico wine changed
Did you know that Pico wine has already been exported to almost the whole world?
Vineyards patchwork blanket
Extensive lava fields make up the landscape of the vine culture of Pico island.
On Pico Island, an impressive maze of dry stone walls was created to protect vines.
Come with us to discover the testimonies of this wine cycle.
We tell you the secrets of the wine of Pico island in an experience full of history in the stunning wine landscape, classified as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Lajes do Pico
– Starting our tour in Lajes do Pico we will head along the South Coast in the direction of Madalena. During the first stop in São Mateus, you will discover the extension of vineyards.
– You will also have an idea of how wine production changed over the years.
Along the coastline
– Continuing along the coastline, we will discover built centers of adegas (little lava stone houses). Nowadays, they seem abandoned. Indeed, they only serve as weekend houses or for the production of the local table wine.
– Also, did you know that nearly every inhabitant produces for its own personal consumption?
Protected landscape of vineyards
– In the protected landscape of vineyards, we will find tidal wells, distilleries, and wine presses. But also ancient warehouses, “Rola-pipas” (stone ramps) as well as “relheiras”. They are marks from the constant passage of oxcarts and manor houses.
– At the end of this experience we will drop you back at Lajes.
Venture beyond the extraordinary. Unrivaled adventure
Largest tour operator in the Azores with 30 years of experience
At Futurismo, we think that educating and raising awareness among the young ones is very important for the future
We’re here to make your experience incredible. Reach us by phone, email, or WhatsApp
Apart from being a responsible tour operator, we also have a social commitment with many local organizations
Plan your Van Tour – Pico Wine Culture
What to bring?
- Comfortable light clothes
- Hiking boots or shoes
- Sweater, raincoat
- Sunscreen, hat and backpack
- Water and snacks
- Please book this tour at least 24/48h prior to the preferred date to adapt to the availability of the adega (wine cellar) and wine laboratory
- If you have any food restriction, please inform us at least 48h before the tour
- You can book for fewer people. If the minimum is not met on that daym tou can reschedule, assume the full value of the experience (3 people) or cancel at least 48 hours beforehand
Reviews What people think about
I really love this company because they care and treat the dolphins with the utmost respect.
Wow fabulous is the only way to describe this trip – Our guide Gena was very informative and not afraid to try different things
John Smith, USA
Excellent English spoken and very knowledgeable guides. The company shows true passion for working with guests and imparting a good cultural experience.
Can I cancel my tour reservation and have a full refund?
Yes, you can check our detailed cancellation and refund policies per tour on each tour page, under “Good to Know” section
Can I take my camera with me during this activity?
Yes, but be aware that your material will be under your responsability.
How can I book this activity?
You can select any tour within our website and get your booking confirmation on your email immediately. Alternativelly, you can visit us on our shops or get in touch with us by phone, email or send us a message on social media (Instagram and Facebook)
Is this an adventure kind of tour?
It is a great adventure, but not physically demanding.
What if the weather isn’t ok?
If the weather doesn’t allow to do this activity safely, we will cancel it and suggest na alternative date.
What is the minimum number of participants?
Please check the minimum number of participant for each tour inside the program’s page.