- Certified Pico mountain guide
- Hiking poles
- Ascent fees
- Insurance (personal accident and liability)
Azores Adventures – Futurismo
The great Pico challenge
Hiking ToursPico island Request Tour
The great Pico challenge
Pico Mountain Climbing with Overnight StayPico island
You can conquer the mountain challenge with the aid of «Futurismo» and, victorious, sleep on its crater, under a pallium of stars and comets.
Light will plate the silence around, as a quilt weaved of secrecy and respect. And then you awake to the most authentic interpretation of natural beauty:
The daybreak offers a performance of sheer joy over the surrounding mountains, the lowlands below, and the glassed sea as the background…
The boldest birds become our equals; the atmosphere vibrates with a rising light that sweeps the shades away from the most impressive of the settings.
Sleep in the best spot in the Azores
Watch the stars from your tent on top of the highest mountain of the country.
Sunset and sunrise from the top of Portugal
Beautiful colors and if you are lucky with the weather, wonderful views over several islands around await you.
Once you are at the top of Pico mountain, you realize that it is worth the effort of the climb.
You will arrive at the perfect time to see the sunset over the Atlantic Ocean, which is such a beautiful moment.
After a refreshing night in a tent, you will be stunned by the sunrise colors surrounding you at 2,351m above the sea level. Enjoy and take lots of pictures!
– Imagine yourself sleeping in the crater of an active volcano at an altitude above 2,000m… You will hear nothing but silence and see nothing but the moon and the million stars of the night sky.
– That is what this tour is all about, topped by a unique sunset and sunrise from the highest point of Portugal, in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean.
– We will do the ascent during the afternoon and the descent on the following morning. We will reserve time enough for the hike up and to pitch camp inside the volcano’s crater still under daylight.
– The trail leads over a rather steep path of rocky and irregular ground, sometimes covered with loose material.
– Our guide will show you tricks to make the climb easier, leading the way up the easiest route. This will help you to avoid injuries.
– Once you arrive at the top of the volcano, you will settle your camping equipment. Also, you will climb to the smaller cone to observe the sunset.
– It will be a bit cold up there, but the stars make it all worth it.
– After enjoying the sunrise at the summit (2,351m) we start the descent.
– The sunlight reveals breathtaking views over the 5 islands of the central group on a good day.
– You will also see various geological formations. Namely volcanic pits, craters and cones, an eruptive fissure, pyroclastic deposits and fumaroles.
Back to Madalena
– At the end of this amazing self-rewarding trip, we will take you back to Madalena for a well-earned rest.
Venture beyond the extraordinary. Unrivaled adventure
Largest tour operator in the Azores with 30 years of experience
At Futurismo, we think that educating and raising awareness among the young ones is very important for the future
We’re here to make your experience incredible. Reach us by phone, email, or WhatsApp
Apart from being a responsible tour operator, we also have a social commitment with many local organizations
Plan your Pico Mountain Climbing with Overnight Stay
What to bring?
- Warm & comfortable clothes (no jeans)
- Hiking boots or shoes
- Sunscreen, hat and backpack
- 3L water, snacks
- Change of clothes
- This activity is ideal for keen walkers and not recommended for people with knee or heart problems
- It is essential to inform us if you have any health restriction or if you have been diving in the last 30 hours
- On request, children younger than 12 years can join the private tour
- Please note that each hiker needs to carry its own backpack containing spare clothes, alimentation for the night and morning, at least 3L of water and camping gear: sleeping bag and tent, which can be shared by 2 persons
Good to know
Reviews What people think about
We scheduled the climb to Pico for the 25th of October. I admit that we had no idea what we were going to do. Jennifer and Daniel were on the dock at the time to take us to the Mountain House. There we started the climb to the highest point in Portugal with the private guide (Daniel). It was tough, the weather didn’t help but the guide made the whole effort 100% effective. We can say that more than the goal of reaching the top, the whole way is beautiful. From the “wild” sheep to the winged star. Worth it. Advise adventurers!
This is the second time we have done this package as we were bringing friends and we knew that there would not be any “surprises”. Guides always present differently, so the tours for us were just like going on them for the first time.
A big shout out to Triin, Rodrigo (Rod), and Raoul. I would not hesitate to do future tours with this company.
Wow fabulous is the only way to describe this trip – Our guide Gena was very informative and not afraid to try different things
Are there any pickup and drop off locations I can use?
Yes, please check the Departure and Return section presented on every tour.
Can I cancel my tour reservation and have a full refund?
Yes, you can check our detailed cancellation and refund policies per tour on each tour page, under “Good to Know” section
Can I take my camera with me during this activity?
Yes, but be aware that your material will be under your responsability.
How can I book this activity?
You can select any tour within our website and get your booking confirmation on your email immediately. Alternativelly, you can visit us on our shops or get in touch with us by phone, email or send us a message on social media (Instagram and Facebook)
I am pregnant but I would like to do this activity. Is it possible?
We don’t recommend this tour for pregnant women.
What if the weather isn’t ok?
If the weather doesn’t allow to do this activity safely, we will cancel it and suggest na alternative date.
What is the minimum number of participants?
Please check the minimum number of participant for each tour inside the program’s page.
Top Sights Pico Mountain Climbing with Overnight Stay
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Sign Up for Email Updates on News & Offers