- Certified guide
- Walking sticks
- Stop at Fogo lake
- Pick up and drop off in Ponta Delgada (please check the Map)
- Insurance (personal accident and liability)
Venture Beyond Lagoa do Fogo
Hiking ToursSao Miguel island Request Tour
Venture Beyond Lagoa do Fogo
Lagoa do Fogo TrailSao Miguel island
The authenticity of this place leans back to the summits, runs down through the slopes and lays down in the deepest of the waters, over the crater, as a ballast in our intimate memories.
A spell of colors, scents, and humidity is cast over our bodies, invades our memories and imprisons our hearts.
We will descend to the border of the lake through wild and vibrant trails; the small beach, asleep in the solitude of the silence and of the birds’ wings, is composed of light-sand and pumice.
Ascending, one cannot avoid looking back several times to discover the part of our spirit that was, forever, left as a hostage of the games of light and shade that cover the scenery.
Fogo lake is surrounded by lush and diverse endemic azorean vegetation. It is one of the favorite places for travelers and locals.
Lagoa do Fogo is one of the most magnificent places here in São Miguel Island. This extinct crater was formed during an eruption in 1563.
Years of hiking
Hiking routes are accompanied by the knowledge and experience of our guides.
Feel the power of nature
Located in the caldera of a sleeping volcano…down there the water is cristal clear. Welcome to Fogo Lake in São Miguel Island!
Impressive Fogo volcano landscapes
Answer the call of the wild. Visit and admire a true natural wonder, the most beautiful green emerald lake on the island.
Of all of our half-day tours, this is the one you will not want to miss.
Many people stay up at the viewpoint to see the lake, but we can assure you that it is well worth it to go down close to the lake.
Lagoa do Fogo seems even bigger when you are on the rim of the lake.
Let the adventure begin
– After the check-in at our shop, or the pick-up in Ponta Delgada, let our adventure begin. Our guide will welcome you and lead you to one of our comfortable vehicles for a great experience.
Down to the volcano lake
– After a nice time on the road, we will stop at Lagoa do Fogo viewpoint, where you will start the hike to go down to the margin of the lake, following a dirt path.
– Once we are at the bottom, we can walk along the beach made of peculiar white sand of pumice stone.
– We will spend some time down by the lake and our guide will tell you everything about this mysterious place, including the vegetation and conservation projects of the famous lake, as well as its importance.
Back on the rim of the crater
– On the way back up, we will take the same trail, having the wonderful lake at our back. The whole walking trip is approximately 3km long (2 miles).
Way back home
– At the end of this experience, we will drop you back in Ponta Delgada.
Venture beyond the extraordinary. Unrivaled adventure
Largest tour operator in the Azores with 30 years of experience
At Futurismo, we think that educating and raising awareness among the young ones is very important for the future
We’re here to make your experience incredible. Reach us by phone, email, or WhatsApp
Apart from being a responsible tour operator, we also have a social commitment with many local organizations
Plan your Lagoa do Fogo Trail
What to bring?
- Comfortable light clothes
- Sweater, raincoat
- Hiking boots or shoes
- Sunscreen, hat and backpack
- Water and snacks
- This hike is not recommended for people with knee/joint problems. Please let us know if you have any of these conditions
Reviews What people think about
Jorgen Johansen, Sweden
I enjoyed particularly the fact that we could visit São Miguel on the jeep tour and got a whole different idea from our last trip. Knowledgeable information is given by the guide about the island specially concerning Azorean history and traditions. Great service and wonderful friendly guides!
Andrea Sievers, Germany
It’s impressive that we haven’t found anybody during our walking tour. It was amazing the communion with nature. It feels that nature is still untouched.
We spent six full days in São Miguel. The itineraries (including dolphin watching) are very complete. The guide who accompanied us for 5 days (Patxi) very professional and friendly. We recommend 100%!
Are there any pickup and drop off locations I can use?
Yes, please check the Departure and Return section presented on every tour.
Can I cancel my tour reservation and have a full refund?
Yes, you can check our detailed cancellation and refund policies per tour on each tour page, under “Good to Know” section
Can I take my camera with me during this activity?
Yes, but be aware that your material will be under your responsability.
How can I book this activity?
You can select any tour within our website and get your booking confirmation on your email immediately. Alternativelly, you can visit us on our shops or get in touch with us by phone, email or send us a message on social media (Instagram and Facebook)
I am pregnant but I would like to do this activity. Is it possible?
We don’t recommend this tour for pregnant women.
What if the weather isn’t ok?
If the weather doesn’t allow to do this activity safely, we will cancel it and suggest na alternative date.
What is the minimum number of participants?
Please check the minimum number of participant for each tour inside the program’s page.
Will I be able to swim in Fogo lake?
No, Fogo Lake is a natural reserve, and for natural preservation purposes, it is not authorized to bathe in the lake.