- Certified guide
- Lunch in a local restaurant
- Entrance fee to Caldeira Velha
- Pick up and drop off in Ponta Delgada (please check the Map)
- Insurance (personal accident and liability)
A Luxury Island Escape
GeotourismSao Miguel island Request Tour
A Luxury Island Escape
Geo Tour around São Miguel IslandSao Miguel island
The powerful volcanic personality of these islands is what sets them apart in both uniqueness and richness. They partake of an earthy nature and, for centuries, have embraced this same nature and have walked with it; but have also defended themselves from it, even if accepting its natural attacks, in a love-hate relationship with the best material and immaterial result…
Up to today, geologists analyze this immense natural laboratory with a constant internal activity that causes a terrifying attractiveness amongst the population and the visitors.
In the Azores, the volcanic activity is subdued to thermal baths, to rusty-golden landscapes, sulphur soils from where heat escapes, to carbonated water fountains, and to underground caves or grottos.
All composes this astonishing reality that amazes every single one of us. To surrender oneself to it is to accept the experienced, medicinal hands of the island and to understand its own interpretation of beauty and care.
From the depths of the Atlantic Ocean
The formation of the 9 islands of the archipelago extends in the Atlantic for 650 km from the island of Corvo to the island of Santa Maria. You will know everything about how these volcanic islands were formed.
The origins of the Azores
This tour will show you many geological patterns, witnessing the volcanic origins of the island.
Mouthwatering local food included
Each island in the Azores has its regional delicacies. Try the delicious Azorean cuisine and let yourself be carried away by traditions!
Inside a lava tube
Walk into the lava tunnel of Gruta do Carvão and be surrounded by lava.
It is a great educational experience to visit Gruta do Carvão with a variety of geological formations resulting from the volcanic activity on the island of São Miguel.
Experience the volcanic activity
Located in the forest, Caldeira Velha is a spa at open air is classified as a Natural and Regional Monument. The water is naturally warm all year round, always being between 26ºC and 38ºC.
This is a complete tour for all the curious ones about geology and volcanology. It has it all!
Wonderful landscapes of Lagoa do Fogo, interesting geological patterns at Gruta do Carvão, history at the museum, zen time at the hot springs, impressive fumeroles where you can cook underground, and so much more!
Transport and lunch are included. What more to ask for?
Gruta do Carvão
– After the check-in or pick-up in Ponta Delgada, let’s visit Gruta do Carvão. It is located on the northwest side of Ponta Delgada. This lava tunnel currently extends about 2,000 meters underground.
– According to old documents and field observations, this lava tube may have originally reached a length of 5km.
São Roque Islet
– After visiting the cave, we will continue our tour through the south coast stopping at São Roque Islet, also called “Rosto de Cão” (Dog’s Face).
Geothermal Observatory of the Azores
– Then we will head towards Lagoa to visit the Monitoring Centre for Volcanology and Geothermal Energy of the Azores (OVGA). This is a science centre about volcanology, seismology and geothermal energy.
– There, you will learn more about the formation of the islands and the volcanic phenomena of the Azores archipelago.
Lunch at a Local Restaurant
– Experience some of the most delicious traditional dishes the Azores has to offer. We will have lunch at one of the local restaurants on the island.
Pico da Barrosa
– After lunch, we will head to Pico da Barrosa. It is a wonderful viewpoint, one of the few where you can see both North and South sides of São Miguel island.
– It offers an astonishing view from where you can also have a first sight over the magical Fogo Volcano and Lake.
– We will then drive to Caldeira Velha, a warm iron-rich waterfall. There, you can go for a dip to experience a relaxing bath surrounded by nature.
– Swimming in any of the several hot natural pools at Caldeira Velha will give you the impression that you are in the middle of a tropical forest.
Caldeiras da Ribeira Grande
– We will keep the beautiful spots coming with a visit to the Calderas of Ribeira Grande. There, you can truly see a proof of the present volcanic activity.
– On the way back to Ponta Delgada, we will make a final stop at Ribeira Seca. There, we will visit the fountain of Largo de São Pedro, built during the 16th century.
– This is a unique vestige of the old settlement that was destroyed by the eruption of 1563.
Largest tour operator in the Azores with 30 years of experience
At Futurismo, we think that educating and raising awareness among the young ones is very important for the future
We’re here to make your experience incredible. Reach us by phone, email, or WhatsApp
Apart from being a responsible tour operator, we also have a social commitment with many local organizations
Plan your Geo Tour around São Miguel Island
What to bring?
- Comfortable light clothes
- Sweater, raincoat
- Sunscreen, hat and backpack
- Swimsuit & towel
- Water and snacks
- You can book for fewer people. If the minimum is not met on that daym tou can reschedule, assume the full value of the experience (6 people) or cancel at least 48 hours beforehand
Reviews What people think about
Wow fabulous is the only way to describe this trip – Our guide Gena was very informative and not afraid to try different things
We spent six full days in São Miguel. The itineraries (including dolphin watching) are very complete. The guide who accompanied us for 5 days (Patxi) very professional and friendly. We recommend 100%!
Jorgen Johansen, Sweden
I enjoyed particularly the fact that we could visit São Miguel on the jeep tour and got a whole different idea from our last trip. Knowledgeable information is given by the guide about the island specially concerning Azorean history and traditions. Great service and wonderful friendly guides!
Are there any pickup and drop off locations I can use?
Yes, please check the Departure and Return section presented on every tour.
Can I cancel my tour reservation and have a full refund?
Yes, you can check our detailed cancellation and refund policies per tour on each tour page, under “Good to Know” section
Can I take my camera with me during this activity?
Yes, but be aware that your material will be under your responsability.
How can I book this activity?
You can select any tour within our website and get your booking confirmation on your email immediately. Alternativelly, you can visit us on our shops or get in touch with us by phone, email or send us a message on social media (Instagram and Facebook)
How long is a Geotourism tour?
Please check each tour duration info.
I am pregnant but I would like to do this activity. Is it possible?
We recommend that you consult your physician first because of the thermal baths in some tours.
Is this an adventure kind of tour?
It is a great adventure, but not physically demanding.
What if the weather isn’t ok?
If the weather doesn’t allow to do this activity safely, we will cancel it and suggest na alternative date.
What is the best weather to do Geotourism in Azores?
Some rain can be nice to be at the perfect temperature at the thermal baths.
What is the minimum number of participants?
Please check the minimum number of participant for each tour inside the program’s page.
Are the entrance fees of Gruta do Carvão, OVGA, Caldeira Velha and the bill of the lunch already included in the price of the tour?
Yes, all you have to pay is the price indicated on this page, every other necessary expense is included in the price.
I am claustrophobic, is the guided visit to Gruta do Carvão really technical?
The guided visit into the cave will be approximately 30-40 minutes, covering about 200m of the lava tunnel with a guide. In this short visit, you will stay relatively close to the entrance of the cave (maximum 200m), and there will be no very technical parts during the exploration.
Will I be able to swim in Fogo lake?
No, Fogo Lake is a natural reserve, and for natural preservation purposes, it is not authorized to bathe in the lake.