- Are the Azores a good whale watching destination?
The Azores are a great whale watching destination, probably one of the best in the whole world. We have sperm whales all year round. Being in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, lots of cetacean species pass by our islands during their annual migration.
- Can I cancel my tour reservation and have a full refund?
Yes, you can check our detailed cancellation and refund policies per tour on each tour page, under “Good to Know” section
- Can I swim with the dolphins and whales?
You cannot swim with whales, our strict whale watching rules forbid to touch the animals. They are wild and we should respect them. About dolphins, on our swimming with dolphins tours, you can have the opportunity to swim with them.
- Can I take my camera with me during this activity?
Yes, but be aware your material will be under your responsibility. Waterproof cameras are also interesting for underwater shootings.
- Can I touch the whales and dolphins?
No, our strict whale and dolphin watching rules forbid to touch the animals. They are wild and we should respect them.
- Can I use my drone during this tour?
You cannot use a drone on our tours with other travelers. However, if you really want to fly your drone, it is possible on a private tour with us.
- Can you send me photos of the tour?
Please check our blog at http://whalewatchingazores.com/blog/
Usually we upload all the photos there.
- Do you have toilets on the boat?
On the catamarans and the bigger zodiac boats, there is a toilet facility. However on the small zodiac boats there is no toilets.
- Do you sell food and drinks on the boat?
No, we do not sell anything on the boat. It is better to bring a snack and a reusable water bottle with you for the tour.
- Do you sell medication for seasickness?
No, we do not sell anything on the boat. If you know that you get easily seasick, it is better to purchase the adequate medication before the tour.
- Does Futurismo provide rain jackets and trousers for the boat trip?
We provide rain jackets and waterproof trousers on zodiac boats for the trip in case of bad weather. On the catamarans, you can go inside to stay dry.
- How can I book this activity?
You can select any tour within our website and get your booking confirmation on your email immediately. Alternativelly, you can visit us on our shops or get in touch with us by phone, email or send us a message on social media (Instagram and Facebook)
- How long is a Whale Watching tour?
Please check each tour duration info.
- How many whales and dolphins can I see?
It depends, each day on the ocean is a surprise. Sometimes we can see one whale only, and other times we will see several species with pods of dolphins including thousands of individuals. We work with nature, the animals are not under our control.
- How should I choose the perfect boat for my tour?
Are you an adventure and adrenaline seeker? Do you want to feel closer to the animals and don’t mind getting a bit wet with the waves of the ocean?
Then, you will have a lot of fun on our zodiac boats.
We will take you on a fast and splashy trip in the search for cetaceans, travelling close to the action right that erupts on the water surface
If, on the other hand, if you are traveling with babies, children or people with less mobility, or just want a more comfortable trip, then our our catamarans are your best choice.
They are bigger, more stable boats, with a bathroom on board and provide an extraordinary visibility from above over the magestic creatures in the sea.
- I am pregnant but I would like to do whale watching. Is it possible?
In this situation, we advise to go on a tour aboard the catamarans. These boats are more comfortable and stable.
- I am resident of the Azores, do I have a special discount?
Yes, residents get 25% discount on this tour!
- I have lower back problems but I would like to go on a whale and dolphin watching trip. Can I go on a tour?
We have a catamaran that is more comfortable and stable than the zodiac and fiberglass boats, but before you come you should consult your physician.
- Is there any kind of discount?
Yes, if you book several tours with us, you have a 10% discount from your second activity. For groups of 6 people or more, we offer a 10% discount only for Whale and dolphin Watching tours
- Is this an adventure kind of tour?
On the catamaran, you can enjoy a nice and smooth trip, but it is still exciting when you sight your fist whale or dolphin. On the zodiac boats, you will have more adrenaline for a bouncy and splashy trip.
- Should I book in advance?
Yes, it is always better to book in advance in order to make sure we have availability.
- What animals can we see during this tour?
According to the season, you will be able to see dolphins and whales. All year round it is possible to see sperm whales, and 3 different species of dolphins, who are resident species living in the Azores.If you want to know more about
- What if I am seasick?
We advise to avoid eating anything overly spicy, acidic, fatty or dairy before the boat trip. Don’t overeat but come well fed. Once on the boat, look at the horizon and get fresh air. If you feel bad, the staff on the boat will help you.
- What if the weather isn’t ok?
If the weather doesn’t allow to do this activity safely, we will cancel it and suggest na alternative date.
- What is the average sea water temperature in the Azores?
During the Wintertime, the water temperature will be around 16-18°C (61-64°F) and during the Summertime, it will be around 22-24°C (71-75°F).
- What is the best weather conditions for Whale Watching?
The best weather is when there is no or little wind in order to have small or no waves at all. A sunny day can be nice, but some fresh air is also good to not be too warm on the boat.
- What is the minimum number of participants?
Please check the minimum number of participant for each tour inside the program’s page.
- What is the price for whale and dolphin watching?
Please check our per tour detailed information.
- Where are we going to go to see the animals?
Whales and dolphins are 100% free, so they go wherever they want and we are the ones to follow them, thanks to our lookouts on the coast, guiding us to them with binoculars.
- Where is the meeting point for this tour?
We are in the Marina of Ponta Delgada, store 26.
- Will the weather be ok?
The weather in the Azores is very unstable, it is hard to predict it. But you can always see a close-to-reality forecast on WindGuru.