- Parada en el mirador de Lagoa do Fogo
- Guía certificado
- Almuerzo en un restaurante local
- entrada incluida en Caldeira Velha
- Pick up and drop off in Ponta Delgada (please check the Map)
- Insurance (personal accident and liability)
Azores Adventures – Futurismo
Geoturismo – Día completo
El archipiélago de las Azores es de origen volcánico y está lleno de maravillosos paisajes debido a sus características únicas. Los efectos de las erupciones recientes son visibles y sus locales pueden ser visitados. Los orígenes volcánicos de las islas crearon montañas y valles cubiertos de una gran variedad de vegetación, lagos en antiguos cráteres, manantiales de agua termal, fumarolas, cascadas de agua. Nuestras excursiones incluyen también visitas guiadas a grutas hechas de cámaras de lava.
From the depths of the Atlantic Ocean
The formation of the 9 islands of the archipelago extends in the Atlantic for 650 km from the island of Corvo to the island of Santa Maria. You will know everything about how these volcanic islands were formed.
The origins of the Azores
This tour will show you many geological patterns, witnessing the volcanic origins of the island.
Mouthwatering local food included
Each island in the Azores has its regional delicacies. Try the delicious Azorean cuisine and let yourself be carried away by traditions!
Inside a lava tube
Walk into the lava tunnel of Gruta do Carvão and be surrounded by lava.
It is a great educational experience to visit Gruta do Carvão with a variety of geological formations resulting from the volcanic activity on the island of São Miguel.
Experience the volcanic activity
Located in the forest, Caldeira Velha is a spa at open air is classified as a Natural and Regional Monument. The water is naturally warm all year round, always being between 26ºC and 38ºC.
Gruta do Carvão
– After the check-in or pick-up in Ponta Delgada, let’s visit Gruta do Carvão. It is located on the northwest side of Ponta Delgada. This lava tunnel currently extends about 2,000 meters underground.
– According to old documents and field observations, this lava tube may have originally reached a length of 5km.
São Roque Islet
– After visiting the cave, we will continue our tour through the south coast stopping at São Roque Islet, also called “Rosto de Cão” (Dog’s Face).
Geothermal Observatory of the Azores
– Then we will head towards Lagoa to visit the Monitoring Centre for Volcanology and Geothermal Energy of the Azores (OVGA). This is a science centre about volcanology, seismology and geothermal energy.
– There, you will learn more about the formation of the islands and the volcanic phenomena of the Azores archipelago.
Lunch at a Local Restaurant
– Experience some of the most delicious traditional dishes the Azores has to offer. We will have lunch at one of the local restaurants on the island.
Pico da Barrosa
– After lunch, we will head to Pico da Barrosa. It is a wonderful viewpoint, one of the few where you can see both North and South sides of São Miguel island.
– It offers an astonishing view from where you can also have a first sight over the magical Fogo Volcano and Lake.
– We will then drive to Caldeira Velha, a warm iron-rich waterfall. There, you can go for a dip to experience a relaxing bath surrounded by nature.
– Swimming in any of the several hot natural pools at Caldeira Velha will give you the impression that you are in the middle of a tropical forest.
Caldeiras da Ribeira Grande
– We will keep the beautiful spots coming with a visit to the Calderas of Ribeira Grande. There, you can truly see a proof of the present volcanic activity.
– On the way back to Ponta Delgada, we will make a final stop at Ribeira Seca. There, we will visit the fountain of Largo de São Pedro, built during the 16th century.
– This is a unique vestige of the old settlement that was destroyed by the eruption of 1563.
Largest tour operator in the Azores with 30 years of experience
At Futurismo, we think that educating and raising awareness among the young ones is very important for the future
We’re here to make your experience incredible. Reach us by phone, email, or WhatsApp
Apart from being a responsible tour operator, we also have a social commitment with many local organizations
Plan your Geoturismo – Día completo
What to bring?
- Comfortable light clothes
- Sunscreen, hat and backpack
- Sweater, raincoat
- traje de baño
- Water and snacks
- You can book for fewer people. If the minimum is not met on that daym tou can reschedule, assume the full value of the experience (6 people) or cancel at least 48 hours beforehand
Good to know
Preguntas más frecuentes
Are there any pickup and drop off locations I can use?
Yes, please check the Departure and Return section presented on every tour.
Can I cancel my tour reservation and have a full refund?
Yes, you can check our detailed cancellation and refund policies per tour on each tour page, under “Good to Know” section
Can I take my camera with me during this activity?
Yes, but be aware that your material will be under your responsability.
How can I book this activity?
You can select any tour within our website and get your booking confirmation on your email immediately. Alternativelly, you can visit us on our shops or get in touch with us by phone, email or send us a message on social media (Instagram and Facebook)
How long is a Geotourism tour?
Please check each tour duration info.
I am pregnant but I would like to do this activity. Is it possible?
We recommend that you consult your physician first because of the thermal baths in some tours.
Is this an adventure kind of tour?
It is a great adventure, but not physically demanding.
What if the weather isn’t ok?
If the weather doesn’t allow to do this activity safely, we will cancel it and suggest na alternative date.
What is the best weather to do Geotourism in Azores?
Some rain can be nice to be at the perfect temperature at the thermal baths.
What is the minimum number of participants?
Please check the minimum number of participant for each tour inside the program’s page.
Are the entrance fees of Gruta do Carvão, OVGA, Caldeira Velha and the bill of the lunch already included in the price of the tour?
Yes, all you have to pay is the price indicated on this page, every other necessary expense is included in the price.
I am claustrophobic, is the guided visit to Gruta do Carvão really technical?
The guided visit into the cave will be approximately 30-40 minutes, covering about 200m of the lava tunnel with a guide. In this short visit, you will stay relatively close to the entrance of the cave (maximum 200m), and there will be no very technical parts during the exploration.
¿Podremos nadar en el lago?
No se permite nadar en Lagoa do Fogo para preservar la naturaleza salvaje.
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Sign Up for Email Updates on News & Offers