- Zertifizierter Führer
- Versicherung (Unfall und Haftpflicht)
Whalers Heritage in a Hike
WandertourenPico island Buchen
Whalers Heritage in a Hike
Hiking in Calheta de Nesquim – Half dayPico island
Calheta do Nesquim was the temple to which the great Azorean writer Dias de Melo dedicated the deepest affection during his life.
This place of thoughts, truth, and beauty, suitable for poets and artists, will be your stage for a private meeting with yourself. With the mountain watching over your steps, as a natural, magnificent Hercules, surrender yourself to this impressive, indescribable land; a land outside the world and nested in the farthest part of the island where a small rural community keeps its authenticity, as a rival witness of time.
A trail that will lead you to everything that is genuine: old paths, natural swimming pools, yards, and small forests.
Off the beaten track
Let’s see how it is to live in a remote and traditional settlement in the middle of the Atlantic.
Home of the whale hunting
We will take you where whaling first began, back in 1876.
Our guide will take you to a very important place for the Azores, yet far away from the most touristic attractions.
Why is this place so significant? Because it is where our whaling times began. This was a huge source of wealth and helped the economy of the Azores.
Even if today it is fortunately over and we prefer watching those beautiful animals in their natural habitat, there are still lots of evidences of this period.
Let’s explore them together.
Lajes do Pico
– From Madalena, we will start our hike in the little fishing harbor, close to the boat houses.
– There you can find some of the old whaling boats, restored. Nowadays, sailors use them sometimes in sailing or rowing regattas.
Calheta de Nesquim
– During this circular trail, we will discover how life on a small island in the Atlantic is and how it used to be.
– We will pass by other places that can be associated with the whaling period. For example, a traditional whale lookout, nowadays used for the whale and dolphin watching experiences.
– We will also have the opportunity to see one of the trypots, used to melt the whale’s blubber.
– The trail leads us along natural pools, ancient paths, houses and gardens, forests, fields and adegas.
– Once we get back to our starting point in the center of Calheta de Nesquim, we will bring you back to Lajes do Pico.
Venture beyond the extraordinary. Unrivaled adventure
Largest tour operator in the Azores with 30 years of experience
At Futurismo, we think that educating and raising awareness among the young ones is very important for the future
We’re here to make your experience incredible. Reach us by phone, email, or WhatsApp
Apart from being a responsible tour operator, we also have a social commitment with many local organizations
Plane dein Hiking in Calheta de Nesquim – Half day
Was zu bringen?
- Sunscreen, hat and backpack
- Comfortable light clothes
- Sweater, raincoat
- Water and snacks
- You can book for fewer people. If the minimum is not met on that daym tou can reschedule, assume the full value of the experience (3 people) or cancel at least 48 hours beforehand
Reviews What people think about
I really love this company because they care and treat the dolphins with the utmost respect.
We did a few tours with them and all their guides were sharp, friendly, and knowledgeable. They have many tours to offer.
This is the second time we have done this package as we were bringing friends and we knew that there would not be any „surprises“. Guides always present differently, so the tours for us were just like going on them for the first time.
A big shout out to Triin, Rodrigo (Rod), and Raoul. I would not hesitate to do future tours with this company.
How can I book this activity?
You can select any tour within our website and get your booking confirmation on your email immediately. Alternativelly, you can visit us on our shops or get in touch with us by phone, email or send us a message on social media (Instagram and Facebook)
Kann ich meine Tourreservierung stornieren und eine vollständige Rückerstattung erhalten?
Ja, Sie können unsere detaillierten Stornierungs- und Rückerstattungsrichtlinien pro Tour auf jeder Tourseite im Abschnitt „Gut zu wissen“ einsehen
Was ist, wenn das Wetter nicht mitspielt?
Wenn das Wetter eine sichere Durchführung dieser Aktivität nicht zulässt, werden wir sie absagen und ein alternatives Datum vorschlagen.